Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any insight to any decent areas to catch raccoons ? Not looking to kill them or take anybody’s spots, just need a couple to train a couple of my hound pups with, and haven’t had much luck catching any. I’m in Spanish Fork, but I’m fine with driving a ways if needed

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
Anywhere down around Utah Lake where you have thick brush. But don't be surprised if you catch a couple of skunks also.

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
In my neighborhood there are a number of skunks and raccoons. To get rid of the raccoons I placed a 2x6 between two trees about 4 feet off of the ground and then the live trap on the 2x6. It is high enough that the skunks can't get up on the board but the raccoons just climb up and into the trap.

The only other thing that I have caught in it has been the neighbors "indoor" cat who according to her is never outside... She wondered how it got into the tap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone have any insight to any decent areas to catch raccoons ? Not looking to kill them or take anybody’s spots, just need a couple to train a couple of my hound pups with, and haven’t had much luck catching any. I’m in Spanish Fork, but I’m fine with driving a ways if needed
What about just getting a racoon tail from some one and tie it on a rope then drag it all around. It seemed to work in the movie Where the Red Fern Grows.

·
Administrator
7,870 Posts
If you have any farmers nearby approach them and ask if you can trap raccoon and skunk with live traps for free to train your dog.

so long as you’re willing to deal with skunks for them, they’re usually receptive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts