Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is the most common one on the Zion unit by far......you will find his name anywhere and everywhere there is a Quakie tree in Dixie National Forest or on Cedar mountain. View attachment 150470
Don't get me wrong, he is a nice guy and a charter member of Ats Queo, the Cedar City archery club that was started in the mid 50's.
It just had always amazed me how he had the time to do that many carvings, and still have time to hunt.
I have seen that carving more times then I can count in the panguitch unit. Into some of the deepest timber, and he's still there. There is almost no place you can go to in that area where he hasn't been. Met an old couple who knew him as I was packing up to leave the area. The wife said he used to live accross the street from them. Said he was a nice guy, tongue in cheek said, the amount of tree carvings he made should have been crime. The way they were talking, I think he passed. Earliest carving I think was in the 70's? Maybe earlier. Latest was late 90's, I forget. I can't recall if i saw any in the 2000's or not. Sooo many of them.

Funny enough, I asked them "I have one question" , they responded with "Who is Paul hunter?"

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
Paul is still alive, is in his 80's.
Is having problems with Alzheimer's.
He is a funny guy, we all called him squeaky. I have know him for over 40 years between work and the archery club. I have quite a few ATS Queo T shirts and the logos all have an aspen tree with Paul Hunter on the tree. He is very well known in Southern Utah.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
He is a funny guy, we all called him squeaky. I have know him for over 40 years between work and the archery club. I have quite a few ATS Queo T shirts and the logos all have an aspen tree with Paul Hunter on the tree. He is very well known in Southern Utah.
A shirt with that logo would be apt. I don't think it can be overstated how many tree carvings he's done. I'm surpised he had time to hunt between them all. In one spot he had several years worth of carvings. It figures he'd be well known in southern Utah, how could he not be? His names everywhere.

I think he's ticked a few people off. A few of his carvings, someone started adding an "A" to his first name, to change it to "Paula", i guess to make him sound like a girl. Someone else carved in an " 's no" in between his first and last name so it now reads "Paul's no Hunter".

Yeah, I spent a lot of time on that unit this year. Only found ONE area where I think he hadn't been, but it was waaay up there on a bench and the base of a mountain through some really thick stuff, and the only thing I found in that area was fresh bear scat.

Reactions: DallanC

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
Ya can't make everyone love you.;)

Another name that is on almost as many trees as Paul's and probably more locations is Cloyd Stratton, he has quite a fancy signature.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts