Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing a razor hd 85mm in the very near future which has brought me to the next dilemma. What tripod to put it on. I would like carbon fiber for weight reasons but I'm open to research others. Also I'm thinking i want a pan head for long glassing sessions. Seems to make it easier to scan full hill sides without holding the scope upright with other hand. What is everyone's opinions and preferences?

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Straight or angled? How tall do you want it to be for comfort? Weight? I now have 3 tripods for my Razor, all have their use, which one I end up grabbing depends on what I'm doing.

-DallanC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am 5'4" it will be an angled scope. I would like to keep weight down to a min, i usually hike to hunting areas. Rarely glass from a vehicle. I would like the ability to use it standing but mostly in a sitting position.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
I use this for table top / truck hood but it works as well in the field on flat ground. Pretty stable with legs extended, its cheap enough to give a try.

My most used tripod is a Slik DX700, 6ft heavy tripod that I love as I can stand relaxed with the scope at eye level, that one rocks. Amazingly stable in even moderate wind.

-DallanC

·
Registered
45 Posts
I compared tripods for a few months before I finally pulled the trigger on one. Realized that most of the cost(like many things)was in the name. I really wanted a carbon fiber tripod and was ready to spend the money but when I started comparing weights of carbon fiber to aluminum tripods I was very surprised to see that the advantage to carbon fiber was pretty narrow to almost nonexistent. In the end I ended up going with the Promaster XC525. After I hucked the ball head it came with and put an outdoorsman micro panhead on it I am just a little over 2 pounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts