Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats exactly what my eyes looked like when I walked up on it.
When I was about ten feet from it I was wondering how the DWR was going to treat me when I self report my incident.

·
3,304 Posts
Congrats! Looks like you are a Tikka and Leupold kind of guy - great choices! What caliber? How far was the shot?

C’mon Shaner, we need details!! ;-)

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
I knew a first time antelope hunter who had a doe tag and went out and shot a doe with horns. He didn't even check the undercarriage for the correct equipment and just walked away from it. He had no idea that some does do have horns.

After I talked to him he reported himself and got a ticket for waste of meat or whatever it was at the time, which was more than 25 years ago.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I haven't checked UT regs, but is the 5" rule in effect for antelope too? The cheek patch is the giveaway. No black cheek patch and it's a doe. My BIL learned this the hard way years ago. Shot a yearling buck...thought it was a doe because it had smaller horns than yours. He was pretty pissed on using his $325 buck tag on that runt. I almost made the same mistake a couple years later. Anymore, if I have a doe tag in my pocket, I either see no cheek patch or I don't shoot!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I haven't checked UT regs, but is the 5" rule in effect for antelope too? The cheek patch is the giveaway. No black cheek patch and it's a doe. My BIL learned this the hard way years ago. Shot a yearling buck...thought it was a doe because it had smaller horns than yours. He was pretty pissed on using his $325 buck tag on that runt. I almost made the same mistake a couple years later. Anymore, if I have a doe tag in my pocket, I either see no cheek patch or I don't shoot!
Utah has the 5" rule for antelope which often allowed for yearling bucks to be shot legally with a doe tag, whereas Wyoming only allows bucks fawns born that same year to be shot on a doe/fawn tag

"A "doe pronghorn" is a pronghorn without horns or
with horns five inches or shorter (R657-5-2(2)(j))."

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CPA,
It is a Tikka fluted barrel in 6.5CM, lightweight aluminum Talley rings, and a Leupold VX3.
I wanted just a lightweight mountain rifle, with only one hand carrying a heavy rifle all day wears me out.
It weighs about 6lb,6ozs IF I remember correctly.
Waited about an hour last night at the bottom of the ravine. I was on my own so I was able to be quiet and not move a lot.
It is my first time hunting antelope so pretty much a newb.
Three fed down the ravine about 310 yards perpendicular to me. I don’t like shots past 150 or so but my time was running out.
I whistled to stop them and ‘she’ was quartered towards my left a little more than I thought.
Bullet (Barnes 127g.) hit front left shoulder a few inches lower than I wanted and opened the guts a little.
I did not like seeing that.
She did not run.
I tried a head shot but was about four inches to the right (she was still looking ahead and to my left) and the bullet went through both ears and grazed a trail behind her skull.
I thought I missed and couldn’t stand the thought of ‘her’ suffering so then I just put her down hard.
That is actually the entry hole and is not as big as it looks.
She tipped over my direction and the blood oozed out, soaking the hair, and making it look much worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Follow up:
I skinned it immediately when I got home.
I put it in a breathable game bag and for the next six days I would move it from my shop to outside and then back in to keep it cool but not frozen. It was in the teens at night for this time period so I moved it quite a bit to keep it between 32-36 degrees as I understood was the range for dry aging.
I then took it to cutter and had burger, chops, pepperoni, jalapeño salami, and some whole muscle jerky made.
I picked it up about six days ago and have had a chance to try a little of everything.
I am very pleased with how my speed-goat tastes!
Anyone have suggestions on different ways/methods of dry aging?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts