Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of hearing several people state that it is the Trophy Hunter or Trophy Hunting crowd, that is the reason why our Big Game hunting here in Utah is so bad.
I'd like to know what your definition of a Trophy Hunter is?
I have my own definition and will share soon enough.
BTW, I don't consider myself a Trophy Hunter under my own definition.:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
Any animal can be a trophy depending on who is doing the shooting.

In my book it is one larger than the largest one that I have shot.

It is funny when there are people that say that the "trophy" hunter is bad for hunting. Granted they may be taking out the larger bucks and bulls but doesn't the spike bull or buck have the same genes in his system that the largest buck or bull has as long as they were sired by the same gene line?

My problem is the hunter that is going out and shooting the first buck that they see and then complaining that there are no big bucks anymore. Don't they realize that the small bucks and bulls need to grow up to become big ones?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It is funny when there are people that say that the "trophy" hunter is bad for hunting. Granted they may be taking out the larger bucks and bulls but doesn't the spike bull or buck have the same genes in his system that the largest buck or bull has as long as they were sired by the same gene line?

My problem is the hunter that is going out and shooting the first buck that they see and then complaining that there are no big bucks anymore. Don't they realize that the small bucks and bulls need to grow up to become big ones?
You never answered the question.:mrgreen:
I don't want to hear people saying what is right or wrong with Trophy Hunters but just a simple definition.
Critter, if a guy says to you... that guy over there is the best Trophy Hunter I know.
What does that mean to you?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I don't think there is a definition. or any beef with trophy hunters. The problem lies when a certain group of hunters want to limit opportunity so they have a better chance at a trophy. It's funny because a lot of these hunters are older and enjoyed tons of opportunity and now that they had their fill they want to limit others cause they want bigger animals.. I bet the younger version of these hunters would kick their older version in arse for being a selfish hypocrite.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Good Luck!
What is a trophy?
What is hunting?
Now combine the two. Different strokes for different folks for sure.
But in this forum my best guess is someone who wants to take something from a lot of people and give it to a few.
Nice way to -O|o-

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
You never answered the question.:mrgreen:
I don't want to hear people saying what is right or wrong with Trophy Hunters but just a simple definition.
Critter, if a guy says to you... that guy over there is the best Trophy Hunter I know.
What does that mean to you?
Critter said:

Call me crazy but I would think the comments in red answered your question.

Is there something wrong with your computer screen? cell phone screen? Maybe you need glasses, or increasing the font size might help.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Critter said:

Call me crazy but I would think the comments in red answered your question.

Is there something wrong with your computer screen? cell phone screen? Maybe you need glasses, or increasing the font size might help.

Goob, yes, I think you are crazy on this one.-O,-
It sure seems to me that he was defining a Trophy "animal", not a Trophy "hunter".;-)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I would consider a trophy hunter to be any hunter over 6'5". You rarely see them these days. They don't taste as good as the smaller hunters but make a more impressive mount!

As a serious answer, I consider a trophy hunter to be anyone who bases the whole reason, value, or success of a hunt on inches. Size is the #1 priority.-----SS

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go big or go home!
That's all you have to add?
Lee,
you are one of those who have specifically called out Trophy Hunters as being a problem.
What is your definition of a Trophy Hunter?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
An ambiguous question will get an ambiguous answer:

A trophy hunter is anyone looking to outdo their personal best whether in their own eyes or the crowd they run with.

A trophy is the one with memories you don't want to forget.

A (hunting) trophy is the first one of something you've taken.

A trophy for me may certainly not be a trophy for someone else.

A trophy hunter is someone who goes to yard sales and flea markets looking for figurines or shapes made of cheap plastic with cheap gold coloring.

Although I don't bank my hunt on taking the largest, I think that since this (and hunting management for what its worth) has become so popular, "trophy" quality has increased because of the popularity to let the little guy walk.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
An ambiguous question will get an ambiguous answer:
+1.

IMO, all of the provided answers so far are probably accurate, based on perspective. I suppose I was a trophy hunter on my last hunt because I let walk about 6-7 small yearling bucks before harvesting a modestly larger (but by no means, exceptional) one.

It does seem like you are after something specific relating to management, so I'll give it a stab.

"A trophy hunter, for management purposes, is someone who prefers to draw/participate in hunts that offer an outsized ratio of bucks and big bucks in the population and a minimum of competition/pressure. He is willing to miss several seasons hunting to draw such a premium tag. To increase his options and opportunities for such hunts, he/she pushes for as many units as possible to be managed for a maximum of large buck population and a minimum of pressure. (ie, current LE style units)"

How did I do?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why don't you give us your definition since everyone else's isn't good enough.
Where did I ever say that "everyone's" answers are not good enough.
The only person I expected a better answer from was Lee.
Good hell, he's the president of the only org. that I'm a current member of and I have seen him point fingers at the trophy hunting crowd all too often.
Maybe he'll revoke my membership after this debate.:shock:

My definition of a Trophy Hunter is .... someone who is hunting for something better than the average animal taken, while not too concerned about the meat and will usually give it away. Someone that typically uses a guide service on most if not all of their hunts.
This type of hunter will most likely get all of these animals mounted, stuffed or taxidermy work done on all their animals, for all to see.
That's my definition.
I don't think those type of hunters are ruining my way of hunting at all.
That's my take.
How about yours Mary!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Here is my trophy, I smile every time I take a bite of sirloin. A lot of people wouldn't even consider shooting an elk where it was taken, so to me this makes it a trophy, plus it was my first elk. Next one will be bigger, same place and without a guide. Different strokes for different folks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts