Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather starting to cool down, the stocking of Trout at Community ponds will be comming very soon.
Fall can be some of the best times spent fishing at Community ponds.
Be sure to take some kids to your local pond and get them "hooked"!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Grandpa D said:
With the weather starting to cool down, the stocking of Trout at Community ponds will be comming very soon.
Fall can be some of the best times spent fishing at Community ponds.
Be sure to take some kids to your local pond and get them "hooked"!
At Holmes you pull a ton of these through the ice. I plan on taking my daughter out there this year. I actually took her there yesterday and will post a report as soon as I find my card reader.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Grandpa D,
How is Meadow Creek doing on the turnover? Are you any closer to getting trout or whatever else they stock in there? My oldest daughter is interested in coming back out and I wouldnt mind some still water fly casting pratice with the possibility of catching something.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
waltny said:
Grandpa D,
How is Meadow Creek doing on the turnover? Are you any closer to getting trout or whatever else they stock in there? My oldest daughter is interested in coming back out and I wouldnt mind some still water fly casting pratice with the possibility of catching something.
Trout should be showing up any time. The water was still low on oxygen last week, so the pond wasn't stocked yet.
I hope to see fish there by the weekend.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Went to Jensen Pond in Syracuse tonight with my bro... We were using bead headed olive wooly buggers and doing pretty good for em. A kid next to us was knockin em dead with a wooly bugger slightly smaller than ours, same kind tho. I missed alot of hits it was kinda hard to hook up with em, I think its cuz my bugger was too big. It was good to get out and just practice the old cast... even if it was for a bunch of planters. Grandps will you let us know when Meadow Creek gets stocked?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try smaller buggers for smaller trout.
DON"T cut the tails shorter though. It makes the fly look and swim funny. You won't catch many fish with one.
Try other leach patterns and even Prince Nymphs and Phesant Tails.
We should have trout in Meadow Creek some time next week.
The DWR will be testing the oxygen levels on Friday, and if the levels are up. the fish will be stocked.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i love catching rising trout in the spring to get warmed up for the season. i know thats not relevant because its the fall but thats my favorite thing about community ponds (ego booster and they are close). im sure ill love them for other reasons when i have kids because i loved them so much as a kid.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reports of some nice trout are comming from the community ponds.
Looks like both small planters and some bigger brood stock are showing up in creal surveys.
Now is a great time to take some kids down to the ponds and watch their faces light up!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YES, we have Trout in the ponds!
Get out and practice a little C&R while supplies last!
Unfortunately, some people are taking limits of Trout home day after day.
I wish that people would learn how to share!
I just don't see how someone can eat that many fish in one day.
Someone must have a big freezer! :(

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ya I think its kind of ridiculous when Im at Syracuse pond and I see people with stringers full of little fish all like 10 in... whatever works for them tho I guess. By the way Syracuse is fishing good right now... Have been successful stripping in black and olive wooly buggers for the planter bows.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So who has been fishing at the community ponds?
I have taked several of my grandkids to Jensen's and Meadow Creek with great results.
The kids are having a blast!!
If you want to get in some quality fly fishing practice, hit one of the ponds right now!!!
Sinking line in type 2 or 3 is working best, but a lot of fish are being caught with a dry line and about 8' of leader.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Grandpa D said:
So who has been fishing at the community ponds?
I have taked several of my grandkids to Jensen's and Meadow Creek with great results.
The kids are having a blast!!
If you want to get in some quality fly fishing practice, hit one of the ponds right now!!!
Sinking line in type 2 or 3 is working best, but a lot of fish are being caught with a dry line and about 8' of leader.
My girls and I got skunked over at Meadow Creek today. I had some minnows under a bubble for both my girls and I seemed to be cutting the air in hopelessness with the fly gear. I used a bead head bugger for a while till I whipped it off, and couldnt seem to match what they were after amoung the scum that was on top. The girls were too restless once we got to Jensen for any kind of fishing.

I tried to talk to you for a min over at Meadow Creek today, you were out in front of the gate talking to some guy and then once you got done you left. I was the one that walked by and said Hey and I was out in the parking lot as you pulled off.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Greenguy88 said:
Ya I think its kind of ridiculous when Im at Syracuse pond and I see people with stringers full of little fish all like 10 in... whatever works for them tho I guess. By the way Syracuse is fishing good right now... Have been successful stripping in black and olive wooly buggers for the planter bows.
You using the beadhead version? I had one on today at Meadow Creek and Jensen and didnt do so great. I was finally hoping to prey on some stockies to make me think I can be successful at fly fishing, but :oops: . Anyhow, I know what your talking about with the guys with stringers or 5 gallon buckets full of fish. There seems to be a trend in a certain group I see doing this, but :roll: . 5-10 guys all going for a limit, yelling and screaming in various languages like the pros they are.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Waltny, I saw you but only had time to say Hi as you walked by.
I was there with Chris Penne, the new DWR Community Ponds Biologist.
I was also late for another appointment.
Wish that I would have had more time to talk, but it was a very hectic day.
The Pond has been fishing well with most standard trout setups.
My grandson and I have even fished a black wooly about 6' behind a full water bubble with good success.
I don't use bead head woolys much, but I don't think that it should matter there.
The best action with woolys has been from about 4:00pm to dark.
Give it another try then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been at Jensen Pond 4 time since mid Sept. and have done well except for the last time this past Saturday when a friend and went there. I only caught one but my buddy limited out. So I was fishing and he was catching. Well it was about time because the first two trips I skunk him and I was beginning to feel sorry for him. :( :? This was his first time at Jensen pond and I was glad that he did well. :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
Walt at Jensen I just use a black wooly bugger, no bead head, on my floating line. Id say if your leader was anywhere from 5-8 ft you should catch em. I have yet to give Meadow Creek a try.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts