Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to move on from my 1998 dodge 1500. I've had my truck for 18 years but it's now time to part ways. I can't believe how stressful it is trying to decide on a replacement in my price range (under 15k). I'm looking to replace it with a 3/4 ton that can pull a heavy 26" bumper pull camp trailer, which my 5.9 360 engine really struggles doing.

Anyone else stress over buying a car/truck?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just bought a new Silverado, you would think truck shopping would be kinda fun, aside from the money but no, it was 2 of the worst 2 weeks I've spent in a long time. The salesmen will tell you anything to get you on the lot thinking they can talk you into what they have, even though you gave them a short list of must haves and what they have doesn't even check half the boxes. Good luck, I don't envy you in your search.

·
Super Moderator
10,288 Posts
I watched a thing on the news today that said that used truck prices are up around 31% right now and that the used truck supply is very low on the dealers lots.

Now this is in Colorado but I hear that Utah is in the same boat.

They are saying that everyone now wants a truck. I guess that they need one to bug out in.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched a thing on the news today that said that used truck prices are up around 31% right now and that the used truck supply is very low on the dealers lots.

Now this is in Colorado but I hear that Utah is in the same boat.

They are saying that everyone now wants a truck. I guess that they need one to bug out in.
I'm shocked by all the newer trucks I see around the salt lake valley. Even at the grocery store, 1/3 of the vehicles are trucks.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
I looked up Jerry Steiner GMC day before yesterday to see what their inventory was... they had exactly ZERO 3/4 GMCs in stock! Unbelievable... not one single 2500.

It is the absolutely worst time to look for a truck... new or used. Wait till spring at least.

-DallanC

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
My 2005 GMC only has 106,000 miles. Every dealer I've talked to about other trucks, DROOL over the thought of getting that thing on trade. Its still a really good truck so I'm not in a rush to unload it. Got a new Oil Pressure gauge on order to fix the pegged needle... its the only thing wrong with the entire truck.

-DallanC

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am extremely lucky to have a 2015 Ram 1 ton 4 door long bed with only 34k on it.
It stays in my shop out of the sun.
I dread having to replace it and just hope it outlasts me.
Other than killer interest rates if you can work it in your favor, I agree with Dallan, do whatever you need to if you can possibly wait until spring.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I had a great experience last December when I purchased a new Cummins. They (Ken Garff W.V.) showed me the truck I was wanting. In fact they showed me many trucks.

Once I decided what one I wanted we started crunching numbers. I had a # on my trade, and they had a # too. I drove off the lot in my old truck and before I made it two blocks they were on the phone asking me to come back. I dint go back and stuck to my guns on the price of both trucks.

About an hour later I get a call from the manager and he wanted me to come back. I said only if you agree to the $$ I am willing to accept for the trade and the $$ of the new truck. Now mind you, I spent a few days doing my homework on truck prices and also trade price.

He would agree on the $$ ONLY if my credit was where I told them it was. DONT allow a dealership to pull your credit without coming to an agreement on a deal FIRST!! It's a "hard hit" on your credit. Anyway... I gave him the information needed to pull the report and five minutes later he said I could come and get my new Cummins.

They had it all washed up and looking like a Prom Queen when I got there.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
I stress like crazy when making big purchases like that. My wife makes fun of me about it.

Like has been said, right now is the absolute worst time to buy a truck. If you can wait, I would.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
My 2005 GMC only has 106,000 miles. Every dealer I've talked to about other trucks, DROOL over the thought of getting that thing on trade. Its still a really good truck so I'm not in a rush to unload it. Got a new Oil Pressure gauge on order to fix the pegged needle... its the only thing wrong with the entire truck.

-DallanC
And the problem is, they will give you pennies on the dollar for trade. I was goofing around one day at a dealership and the salesguy said they could match my current monthly payment on my trade in. I asked if they could seriously and he said not a problem.

You should have seen him balk when he learned I owed nothing so my monthly payment would be zero dollars on a new ride.

It will be cheaper for me to put in a new "bullet proof" engine and new transmission instead of buying new.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
697 Posts
OH I hear you. I stress like crazy spending $200. Let alone new vehicle shopping. I inherited my current ride and will ride it till it dies. It is a 93 GMC and only has 111,000 on it. I got it with 53,000 10 years ago. I can't afford a new one and it costs as much as my house, which is ludicrous.

SUVs are close to the same. A new Sequoia is not cheap.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The price of vehicles isn't going to get any cheaper. On average they jump about 1-3K a year. December is the best time to purchase a ride anyway. The Dealerships are trying to reduce inventory for the new year models and have some great incentives to offer "Well Qualified Buyers" (810 and higher credit score) That is, IF they have inventory on the lot.

Once the election is over, depending on who the President is, things will loosen up. When the COVID ends....well, hang on to your hat.

·
1,682 Posts
I check from time to time online, just because I know one day my truck is going to give up the ghost.

Found these guys the other day and they seem like they have good reviews.

https://www.utahtruckguys.com/used-cars-west-valley-city-ut

May be worth a gander if you are looking for something under 15k.

I know I bought my last car from Auto Source and even thought it was a branded title. I have 120k miles on it (bought it with 64 miles) and have had zero issues with standard maintenance.

https://www.myautosource.com/used-vehicles/

One thing with Used Vehicles is that you should call a Mechanic that does not work with the dealership in the area and have him inspect the Truck before buying. Trucks can get expensive quick if the codes are deleted from the scanner or you have to replace shocks, brakes, O2 sensors, Catalytic converters, etc.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
If a certain person becomes the prez and kills the oil industry you can kiss your big trucks and trailers goodbye. Just sayin there isn't a electric truck out the that will pull my 5th wheel up the slant at the Gorge. Yes they are expensive and it pains me to think of buying a new one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One suggestion I would make, if you find one you like that will work for it jump on it. I had 2 that I looked at, went home to think about over night only to call back in the morning to find out there were sold already. The one I ended up buying I called on a monday night, it had just been delivered that day, I drove it tuesday morning and bought it. While I was filling out the paperwork the sales manager told me that 2 other couples had shown up to buy it. I was there at 9:00 am waiting for the sales people or it would have been gone. I actually saw the people walking around it, checking it out while I was signing papers. Crazy, kinda like the housing market right now, you don't have a minute to think about it you just have to jump and hope it works out for you. I would agree, if possible I would wait until spring, I couldn't. Oh yeah, and no wheeling and dealing on price, at least not for a new one, they tell you what you're going to pay. I played like I wasn't interested and they actually tried to talk me out of it, saying they didn't want to sell me something I wouldn't be completely satisfied with. They hold all the cards right now.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Anyone else stress over buying a car/truck?
I'm trying to buy a house right now... a car/truck ain't got nothing on that! -O,-

Seriously, though, I do stress about big purchases. I'm the type that likes to think things over for a few days, which is why current market conditions are driving me crazy. Makes it hard to relax.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
In March I went to the local dealer and picked up the last 2019 F250 Lariat powerstroke crew cab that they had on the lot.

Thinking it is my last truck.

At the end of the deal they asked if there was anything else they could do for me and I said that they could give me a little more trade in on my 04 F350, he went into the manager and said that they would give me $2K more and that was after the deal was made.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I have an opportunity to buy a truck from a family member. At first, I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea but I'm starting to see that my uncle will do everything he can to fix any problem the truck has before he lets it go. He's already been very upfront with the little things he's found wrong with the truck. So I think it's a bonus to be dealing with an honest person that wants to be fair with me. I'm sure the reason for giving me a discount on the truck is in case something wrong does come up, I can get it fixed with the money I saved from the discount he's willing to give me. He already told me if I don't buy it, he'll be asking $2,500 more for anyone else.

So what's your opinion on buying from family, more or less stressful?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts