Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that didn't see this a fewe years back on the old site.

Hevi-Shot has an irregular pear-like shape:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I cut open a hevi-shot the other day only because the crimp was bad from the factory and all my bb's looked pretty deformed like the picture anyone else notice this? If the black cloud has got sketchy reviews for fly aways wouldn't the heavy shot be worse?

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard the pear shape of the Hevi-shot pellets are supposed to make it fly straighter. I think the shape is inherent to the manufacturing process; not planned that way.

Perfectly rounds pellets, like steel shot, are supposed to wander. For example, golf balls have all those little flat spots on them to keep them flying true. Lead pellets pattern well and they have flat spots on them.

Got me, I know I do good with Hevi-Shot. Maybe it's because of all the flyers and the fact I'm a poor shot! Wish they weren't so expensive. I just use them for geese, swans, cranes and turkeys.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Having taken tungsten-matrix and heavy shot in the pocket on a goose hunt. I found that the tungsten-matrix killed geese out to about 45 or 50 yards. Where the heavy shot did not do have the same range. But I did kill geese with both. :D

Just one mans field test.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The theory is that the HeviShot pellets act very similar in flight to the flight of a shuttle**** in badminton. The heavier end always leads the pellet in a given direction. I do know that any given size of HeviShot will have more energy and kill at a greater distance than the same size pellet of just about everything except Tungsten Super Shot (TSS). TSS is absolutely the leader in long range killing energy.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dubob said:
The theory is that the HeviShot pellets act very similar in flight to the flight of a shuttle**** in badminton. The heavier end always leads the pellet in a given direction. I do know that any given size of HeviShot will have more energy and kill at a greater distance than the same size pellet of just about everything except Tungsten Super Shot (TSS). TSS is absolutely the leader in long range killing energy.
I have heard of the Hevi-Shot theory.

I haven't heard of TSS, sounds expensive.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Tungsten Super Shot factory-loaded shotshells. 12 gauge, 1.25 oz. of #5, 7, or 8 TSS pellets at 1200 fps. 10 shells per package. NOTE: The price includes a required federal excise tax of 8.3%, or $.27 per shell. $35.70. Plus S&H.

That would probably bring it to about $3.75 to $4.00 per shell. And yes, that would qualify as expensive in most hunters minds.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dubob said:
Tungsten Super Shot factory-loaded shotshells. 12 gauge, 1.25 oz. of #5, 7, or 8 TSS pellets at 1200 fps. 10 shells per package. NOTE: The price includes a required federal excise tax of 8.3%, or $.27 per shell. $35.70. Plus S&H.

That would probably bring it to about $3.75 to $4.00 per shell. And yes, that would qualify as expensive in most hunters minds.
Ouch!

Thanks for the info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts