Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until this year I've never even had the thought that people would turn in a tag.... but me and my wife might be moving out of state before the hunt happens. This breaks my heart, but in the off-chance that we stay here, I am still putting in to draw a tag. So my question is this, what happens when you turn in a tag? Do you get a refund on the price of the tag? or does that just turn into an extra point for the next year?

·
Registered
622 Posts
If I drew a tag in your situation I wouldn't turn it back..... Go hunt.. you move out of the state then your in the NR pool.... Drag out your chance to draw by a long time!!! get the tag, then make plans to come back and fill it!!! just don't let the DNR know you have moved out of state....

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
just don't let the DNR know you have moved out of state....
I can't find anything in the rules that says you have to be living in Utah while you're hunting with a resident tag. As long as you're a resident when the tag is obtained, I doubt there will be an issue.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I really want to just come back but i don't know if I can talk my wife into letting me.... Maybe I will mysteriously have a business trip back here?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I can't find anything in the rules that says you have to be living in Utah while you're hunting with a resident tag. As long as you're a resident when the tag is obtained, I doubt there will be an issue.
Had cousin draw a bear tag. Then moved to Idaho.. had the tag mailed to his house in Idaho.. He got the tag and few weeks later got a call from the DNR asking him if he lived out of state... He said yes and they took back the tag. Even though he hadn't qualified for residency in Idaho... that's how his shook down.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Dallan C has it right. As long as you turn it in at least 30 days before the hunt starts. That's what I got back last year when I turned one back in.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Had cousin draw a bear tag. Then moved to Idaho.. had the tag mailed to his house in Idaho.. He got the tag and few weeks later got a call from the DNR asking him if he lived out of state... He said yes and they took back the tag. Even though he hadn't qualified for residency in Idaho... that's how his shook down.
Well, nevermind then. That's good to know, I guess...

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
That shouldn't have happened. The requirements are simply that you have residency in the state for the six months prior to the purchase of the tag. If he actually drew and was charged for the tag while still living in Utah he should have been able to keep it.

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
How did the DOW find out that he lived in Idaho? He must of called or told them about it.

When I moved out of state I just used the USPS mail forwarding system and got my tags sent to me, the DOW never knew it. But after that year I had to put in as a non resident.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
That shouldn't have happened. The requirements are simply that you have residency in the state for the six months prior to the purchase of the tag. If he actually drew and was charged for the tag while still living in Utah he should have been able to keep it.
i hope this is true. i mean it makes sense in my mind. ill be moving to colorado in may. but even for this upcoming season i'll be non resident there. so i better be allowed to at least come back here for a hunt as a resident. and to the original poster, I'd definitely suggest doing the same

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Here we go. Page 20 of the big game application guidebook.

"To apply for a resident permit, you must be
a resident on the date the permit is purchased.
May 27, 2016 is considered the purchase date
of the permit and the date by which you must
establish residency in the state of Utah. Please
see the resident definition on page 68 to
learn whether you qualify as a resident."

And page 68:

"Resident means a person who has a
domicile (fixed permanent home and principal
establishment) in Utah for six consecutive
months immediately preceding the purchase
of a license or permit, AND DOES NOT claim
residency for hunting, fishing or trapping in
any other state or country."

(There is also a lot more information about residency on page 68.)

So, it would seem to me that if you plan to move before the official date of purchase, you don't qualify for a resident permit.

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
Here is the definition of a resident from the 2015 Field Guide:

Resident means a person who has a fixed
permanent home and principal establishment
in Utah for six consecutive months immediately
preceding the purchase of a license or
permit, AND DOES NOT claim residency for
hunting, fishing or trapping in any other state
or country.

Perhaps where it says "purchase" could be where you could get into problems since you don't actually purchase the license until you CC gets hit in late May or early June

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I've thought about applying to hunt in the state that we are moving to, the only problem with that is that it might change. We are moving for grad school and we haven't picked which one for sure yet so it could be Texas, Colorado, or Virginia (with more schools still yet to reply). Who knows? We might end up staying here!:grin:

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Here is the definition of a resident from the 2015 Field Guide:

Resident means a person who has a fixed
permanent home and principal establishment
in Utah for six consecutive months immediately
preceding the purchase of a license or
permit, AND DOES NOT claim residency for
hunting, fishing or trapping in any other state
or country.

Perhaps where it says "purchase" could be where you could get into problems since you don't actually purchase the license until you CC gets hit in late May or early June

That's where Clarq's quote defines the official "purchase" date. Problem solved!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luckily I won't be moving till August or September so I won't have to worry about that deadline. Maybe I can just send my wife on ahead and stick around for another month or so? haha

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
just don't let the DNR know you have moved out of state....
Absolutely correct. Just have to be a resident when you apply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts