Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you look at rifle twist rate when selecting bullets?

I notice on a few forums that some people seem to be all over the place on bullet selection and what they say shoots good in their rifle. They look a speed or penetration factors. It makes sense to me to look at twist rate first and then select a bullet characteristics next. Then bullet seating depth and finally powder.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You are right on taking it into account.
Depends on the caliber though. Industry standard for 7mag in 1:9.25 so everything but the heaviest 190 gr bullets will stabilize. Or calibers like the 308 varieties can can very when you look at the 308 win vs 30-06 vs 300 win vs 300 ultra. I've never done it but a 210 gr vld bullet out of a 308 win probably doesn't achieve optimal performance.
What combo are you looking at?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yep, for the most part, I like to look at the twist rate generally as the upper limit of what I can shoot in my rifle. It doesn't necessarily mean that is what the rifle will shoot best though. If it's a pretty fast twist rate for the caliber (1:7 on a 223 AR-15), I'll tend to lean toward the heavier side so I don't vaporize the light weight varmint bullets from over rotation.

When planning my current rifle build, twist rate was an important factor. I wanted to be able to shoot 140-160 grain 6.5 mm pills - so the 1:8 twist barrel was a must.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I do. Just three weeks ago I bought some 105gr A-Maxs for Lisa's .243. Hornady recommends 1-9 twist but I have her 100gr Nos Partitions flying great in her 1-10 Weatherby barrel. So since I have other 6mms I can use them in, I bought them anyway. I thought I could spin them fast enough. Nope! I couldn't hit a 2x2 box at 211yards!
Twist rate does make a difference ESPECIALLY with boat tails.

Good post SWB.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm building a .243 because I have a .243 action "wish I had a long action." I'm not sure what it will turn into when i'm done though. I may turn it into 7mmo8 when my kids get older. My wife should draw an antelope tag next year. I also think I'm going to try and take my kids to Wyoming on an antelope hunt in the near future. This gun should work well for that. I also want it to be used for deer and long range coyotes. My kids are so small they really cant handle anything larger in recoil right now. My soon to be 12 year old daughter is still only 65 lbs. She however did kill a deer with it in Idaho last year.

Things i've done to it so far
1. bought a olive and black web BC Alaskan sporter in bdl. My gun is an adl and I wanted to convert it because I hate cycling shells to unload. I may also go with the magazine clip over hinge floor plate. I will skim bed the action when the new stock arrives. Im going to practice bedding on the old stock I chopped down for my kids first though.

2. I cerakoted the rifle barrel and action in graphite black.

3. I also fluted the bolt. I liked the looks of a fluted bolt. I may true the action depending on how it groups.

4. bought a timminey trigger and set it at 2 lbs. May change it to 2.5

5. bought a 4x16x50 vortex turret scope for the long range coyotes. looking at the tru level long range picatinny scope mounting base. Havent decided on rings yet.

6. looked up the twist rate and I have a 1-9 older gun with a hardly been shot barrel. The way I read the berger web site the gun should like 95 grain vlds. I however may not be able to shoot them properly because they are finicky to seating depth and I don't have any reloading equipment yet. When I shoot this barrel out some day and if I decide to keep it a .243 ill get a barrel that will shoot the 105 grain pills.

This gun didn't shoot very good before I started all this. The stock wasn't free floating at all. I didn't shoot it off sandbags or use a rear support so that could also be part of the problem. The trigger was also set to about 7 lbs and it had a tiny 4 power 1980 something tasco scope that wouldn't focus very well. I however did notice when I went from the heaviest bullet federal makes to the 95 grain federal bullets the groups did shrink up some. It went from 3.5" to about 2.5" group. I'm hoping to get under an inch when i'm done anything better will be a bonus. Ill cry if it wont!

This is my first rifle build and its been pretty fun so far.
I have no idea what im going to do next. The more I look at calibers the more guns I think I need.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Beware, this kind of activity can lead to a very expensive addiction. Precision shooting is really fun, frustrating, and rewarding. not always in that order. I will tell you that I have done some amazing feats with the 105 AMax out of a 1/8 barrel. If I had to pick one cartridge/bullet combination for precision target shooting out to 1000 yards it would be the 6MM BR and the 105 AMax.--------SS

·
Administrator
21,330 Posts
I like how Berger puts the recommended twist rate on their boxes of bullets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts