Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Saturday was the day of the Utah Trappers Association youth hunt. The first stand of the day we had a coyote behind us barking, figured it could see my bronco. We made several more stands with no results. After covering a lot of country I stopped to make a stand and the kids decided not to go out with me. About 5 minutes into the stand I saw movement and noticed a badger running towards me and my foxpro. I missed the first shot at 100 yds but the second one connected.

We drove a couple miles down the road and stopped again. This time the badger was out at 200 yds and wouldnt come any closer. He wasnt safe at that range either. I got him also.

Another 3-4 miles down the road I looked off to my left and saw a coyote standing about 250 yds out. By this time there was quite a wind blowing. I was able to take 6 shots at him. He never did actually run. He just kind of trotted away.

We continued on down the road another 4 miles or so. On this stand we had a kit fox. My wife didnt want to shoot so I took the 204 from her for it. I forgot it was sighted in for her and missed. It just stood there allowing a second shot. I hit it high in the back and put a bigger hole in it than I like. That hour to hour and a half was the entire excitement of the day. I wish I could have watched the kids get them instead.

We headed to the check in at Nephi for the evening drawings. At the drawings, my youngest daughter won a Benelli Nova Youth 20 guage, my oldest daughter won an NEF 223 and her boyfriend won a Benelli 12 guage, I won an NEF pump 12 guage. We also won several real nice knives.

This was one of those hunts that I will remember for a long time. I really enjoy getting out with my family to do these things.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
What a heck of a weekend for you !!! :) :) Congrats !!!

Good pic on the badger, I never knew they 'ever' closed their mouths. I thought they even slept with a snarl. ( Like Pro )...Quite colorful animals. I've only seen them 'on the run', usually me running though !!

Glad you had a good and productive weekend with you're family... :) :)

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
That's awesome! sounds like a good time.

What sound from the Foxpro did the badger respond to?

·
Registered
292 Posts
question. i never even knew you could hunt badgers till this post. are they like yotes and don't need tags and can shoot them when ever or what? I see them deer hunting sometime and always wish i could take a shot at em and hope they don't wanna take a bite out of my leg

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
I never knew they 'ever' closed their mouths. I thought they even slept with a snarl. ( Like Pro )...
WTH? I don't sleep!

PRO

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Opps.... :oops: ...I didn't know you stopped between the politics and the big game topics.... :) :)

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
.45 said:
Opps.... :oops: ...I didn't know you stopped between the politics and the big game topics.... :) :)
I am EVERYWHERE! _(O)_

PRO

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rabbit_slayer16 said:
question. i never even knew you could hunt badgers till this post. are they like yotes and don't need tags and can shoot them when ever or what? I see them deer hunting sometime and always wish i could take a shot at em and hope they don't wanna take a bite out of my leg
You need a furbearer license and they do have a season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts