Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
It was definitely smaller than the first goose, which was pretty good sized, but I wouldn't say a cackler. Possibly a lesser. The picture makes the bill look small because it has snow on the tip

·
Registered
622 Posts
Looks to be a Richardson cackler.... cool little geese! A migrator for sure! Most geese we have here are what's called Moffits. A true cackling cackler has a very dark chest and is no bigger than a mallard! Nice Birds congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The 3rd goose I ever shot was a cackler. We were sneaking on some late season ducks and a flock them flew over head about 20 yards up. They were making the funniest sounds, I wasn't sure what they were until they passed over us and we realized they were geese and shot. I had a 20ga over under with steel #5s and was only able to bag a single goose. My buddy also got 1 goose. We shot a couple greenheads that day and the geese were maybe 1/4-1/2lb heavier than the ducks at most. Breasted them out and tossed them, didn't even take a picture which I still regret.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The 3rd goose I ever shot was a cackler. We were sneaking on some late season ducks and a flock them flew over head about 20 yards up. They were making the funniest sounds, I wasn't sure what they were until they passed over us and we realized they were geese and shot. I had a 20ga over under with steel #5s and was only able to bag a single goose. My buddy also got 1 goose. We shot a couple greenheads that day and the geese were maybe 1/4-1/2lb heavier than the ducks at most. Breasted them out and tossed them, didn't even take a picture which I still regret.
Reminds me of the time I jumped a bunch of seagulls at Public about 4 years ago. They flew away but turned into snow geese after a few seconds.

Or the time I passes up on a tame goose swimming with some mallards. As it flew away it turned into a speckle belly. It now hangs on my neighbor's wall. At least you got to shoot yours!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts