Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you guys going NORTHSLOPE on me (Always claiming there are no elk so no one else will go there) or is it really a giant debacle. I will probably make a run over there some time during the month of archery season to check it out during the hunt. I have invested some serious time into where I am at but haven't had the success I was hoping for. It is probably more me than the area. But I have to blame something, Right?

G

·
+1 about the elk staying really high in Uintas. I do a lot of backpacking in the Uintas and have seen them at 12,000 feet around Red Knob and Porcupine passes in September. I suspect they go back and forth between north and south slopes feeding above timber line all summer long. Then when the first big snowstorm hits the high country they fly down the mountain into Wyoming to winter over in the sage brush country. I doubt they spend much time in the timber country that is in between. If I were going to hunt elk on the north slope I would want to have horses, and I wouldn't spend much time below timberline. If there was already snow in the high country then I would hunt somewhere else because the elk are probably already in Wyoming.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts