Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scouting a limited entry elk unit this past weekend and saw a guy in an ultralight flying around buzzing the treetops. I can only come to think that he was searching for a bull, is this legal a week before a hunt starts?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
It was Super Dale..... I think he figured since he couldn't buzz vehicles on I-15 that perhaps buzzing a big elk would be just as exciting. :lol: Just kidding.... I'm not sure what the legal answer is to a situation like that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if it is legal or not, obviously by my asking the question, but it seems like it is cheating, and it was just frustrating. I am there hiking my butt off to find the bull that I want to shoot and here is a guy, or one of his guides taking the easy way.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
There is one flying around out here just east of Stockton as I type. I just notified the CO in the area, we'll see how it turns out.

Wasn't SuperDale just recently out over the Great Salt Lake harassing boaters, I heard that last week.

PRO

·
Registered
424 Posts
Proclamation, VIII. Prohibited Hunting Methods; B. Use of Vehicle or Aircraft; 2(a) "A person may not use any type of aircraft, except as provided in Subsection (3), from 48 hours before any big game hunt begins, through 48 hours after any big game hunting season ends to:... (iii) locate or attempt to observe or locate any protected wildlife.

Harrassment laws may be considered but a week before isn't a problem to locate animals.

Just a thought, is locating animals a week before by an aircraft any more unethical than using a guiding outfit that watches the animals all year?

·
Registered
623 Posts
To each his own, it is legal and it is a stratagy that can yield results, I can sure see why someone would choose to short cut the sytem, but I think it goes to a persons charicter as to FAIR CHASE principles. There are certainly going to be different oppinions on both sides of this argument, but put my vote in for crossing the line when it comes to FAIR CHASE, I do not think this is a fair way of closing the distance.

·
Registered
507 Posts
For me, I like to think of it as using your resources! In my eyes it is no different then high powered scopes, spotting scopes, magnum rifles, gortex, trucks, 4wheelers, or anything else modern that has come along throughout the years in helping us find/harvest our game. If we are going to complain about modern hunting tools then we all need to go back to hunting with sticks and strings and wearing nothing but loin cloths <<--O/

Where does this ethics line start and end? It is all a personal choice, but in my eye's. If they are not breaking any laws then I say game on.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
You can’t shoot out of it so I guess it is a hell of a lot better than a 4-wheeler tearing up the hills looking for a big buck. If I locate a buck using one I would still have to stick it with an arrow. I believe it is fare chase! If I had one I would use it but I don’t think it would fly high enough to scout with where I hunt.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Where does this ethics line start and end? It is all a personal choice, but in my eye's. If they are not breaking any laws then I say game on.[/quote]

I agree with you very much on this, but I would put an emphasis on the personal choice part of the comment and still say that TO ME, it is not fair chase, it is legal and I have no problem with him or you or anyone doing this, I just choose to bend my own rules with spotting scopes and radios (which are illegal in some states) so I am not saying my ways are best, better or anything along the lines of more effective or more ethical, they are just my ways, and that can be summed up in the fact that I choose to hunt the way I enjoy hunting the most. I would enjoy flying around in an ultra light and seeing things you can't see on the ground, but not in an effort to locate animals that I will try to hunt.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I watched Uncle Ted a few nights ago. He had taken some animals over corn. He said that some hunters feel that is not right. Some feel it is. He mentioned that he never goes fishing without a worm or something like that on his hook. Buck lures, Scents of anykind, or corn are all bait. In the states where this is illegal it should be made legal and in the ones that are legal then it should be looked at a s a recourse that works and to utilize. In Alaska, our outfitter told us that it is unethical to shoot an animal in water. My attitude is, if I see an animal in water then so be it and if a moose is standing in it then why not shoot? If I devise a plan to run animals into the water to make them easier to get once they are submersed then that would be unethical. Long story short, I have no problem with using a recourse of scouting from above ground to see where the critters are or what might be in there is not un ethical at all. Hearding animals with a flying machine would be. Recourses are to be utilized but not missused.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Personally, I don't think it's much of an advantage seeing as how you can only use this method 48 hours before the hunt. We all know that critters, especially elk, can be miles away from where you spot them in 48 hours. So, unless a guy uses his ultra light to spot them, plots the coordinates on the GPS, parks the ultra light, hikes in the next morning and keeps an eye on them till the opener, it doesn't really give you an advantage at all. It can sure give you a good idea of the quality in the area and what to hope for, but that's it. So for me, if you happen to own one of these flying machines, go for it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well i guess i'm a bad guy here. i am a pilot and i fly areas all the time looking at animals.(legal times) when possible and legal. i fly low and slow and can almost count points if i'm carefull. i have and will continue to fly and watch wildlife, as long as its within the law. I have also done this many times with other people who wanted to see an area. I have difficulty seeing how this is any worse than riding my wheeleres or jeep or horses or any other way to look at said animals. If you all had access to an airplane you would be doing the same. i have been asked at least a thousand times to fly someone over there area to look at it from the air. I will say that i have yet to find an animal that was still in its hoofprints 48 hours later. most seem to move around. And my two cents is it's way more "ethical " for ME to fly MY area than it would be to hire three or four guys to scour it for me. So if something is legal and might i say , fuuner than heck. it must be evil.

This all has me wanting to go fly and see whats around. any body up for a ride???

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just thought of something that i feel must be pointed out. the record books are full. and i do mean full, of animals that were first scouted by air and then gone in and taken. I would hope that most were done by what would be legal timing at the time it was done, this was the modus operandi for many years in alaska. and it happens all over. enough said i gotta go fly for a couple hours.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
archery said:
i have been asked at least a thousand times to fly someone over there area to look at it from the air. This all has me wanting to go fly and see whats around. any body up for a ride???
Lets make this 1001 times. My daughters Henries Bison hunt is on the 17th. I'll bet from the air would be a great way to spot Buffs. ha ha

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey, more power to you archery. I wish I had that opportunity because I would sure as heck take it.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Hey!
J-BASS where in the heck did you get that picture of me?
I thought I had paid to have that destroyed!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, it was so darn sentimental that I kept a reserve copy. The world needs to know you for who you are!

·
Registered
154 Posts
elk22, call redtail aviation out of price or moab. they can get you all around that unit very quickly, and it won't cost as much as most people think.

j-bass, that avatar is funny. sick, but funny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts