Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Understanding Utah Hunting regs

1283 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Randaroo
It's been 20 years since I hunted in Utah and boy have the regs changed! I just retired and moved back to southern Utah and would like to get back into it. I've read the guidebook and even spoken to a few local hunters but I still can't make heads or tails of the new system. Back in the day I could buy a deer tag, go hunt opening weekend with my father-in-law on the other side of the state and come home and hunt after work the rest of the time. Now it seems like hunting in multiple areas of the state is out and I need to pick just one area. Any suggestions or hacks on how to best utilize my hunting time would be appreciated!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
There are 3 types of buck tags in Utah, "General", "Limited Entry" and "CWMU" (private property).

The state is divided up into small units as of a few years ago, you can no longer hunt across the state. You need to first decide where you want to hunt, then consult the following map to see what unit that area is in:


The above link shows General season units. The other areas that are not colored are the Limited Entry units. You can apply for 1 general unit and 1 limited area unit, but you can only draw 1 buck tag (drawing one removes you from the other draw).

There are points systems and other things involved, but the above should answer your basic question.

See less See more
To add to Dallan's post, I believe the LE and CWMU draws take place first. These are generally the hardest tags to draw. If you strike out there (which most people do), you can fall back on the general season where you have to put in for a specific unit in the state and are confined to that unit during the general hunt. Even then, depending on which unit you choose, it may not be a sure thing to draw the tag you want.

Also, you can only put in for one LE species (deer, antelope, or elk), so if you put in for deer, it excludes you from the elk and antelope LE tags. You are also allowed one once-in-a-lifetime (OIAL) choice between rocky and desert sheep, moose, mtn goat and bison. If this interests you, pick one you like and stick to it. They are typically 15+ year tags, unless you get really, REALLY lucky.
See less See more
If you think Utah is confusing don't ever look through our neighboring states regs, your head will explode. :shock:
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.