Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals my fiancé and myself were drawn for unit 14A and we just had our son and we're getting married Aug 8th and then using this hunt as our honeymoon. I work as a Firefighter/EMT and between work and the wedding I haven't had anytime to head up there and scout besides online and Google earth and topo maps. I hate asking for help im out of options. I'm not looking for honey holes or anything like that but if there's anyone with some information about this area or where to start that would be great. We both love to hike and would love to get away from the road hunters. And if there are any landowners that charge access fees in that area please pm me Id be willing to pay a fee to show my fiancé a great hunting experience. Thank you all in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,407 Posts
If it was me I would hunt along the edge of the western boundary line with Elk Ridge but it has been over 30 years since I hunted down there. There are some real nice bucks up there. Other than that the deer down there usually start their migration early after a cold rain or snowstorm, and then you need to hunt low around the grain fields.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not familiar with the unit (San Juan, Abajo - for those that needed to look it up like I did). Have heard though that the mountains west of Monticello would probably be a good place to start.

Hope you stick around and share you experiences with us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm so thankful for your guy replies. It's a nice change to have people that don't mind helping out. I appreciate it so much. I plan on sticking around and I hope to share our experiences.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Welcome:!:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yep, I have a friend that used to hunt the upper areas of the Blue Mountain peaks to the west of Monticello and he always talked about good numbers of deer. That was 7-8 years ago though, so it's old news. If you like to hike, I doubt you'll have a rough time finding deer.

Be aware that this area was hit by a blue tongue epidemic in the last 10 years. Not sure exactly how the deer herd fared overall, but it did take numbers off the top for sure. Good luck...must be a hell of a gal to consider a deer hunt as her honeymoon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts