Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a leftover kamas muzzleloader tag. Never hunted the unit and am looking to enter above marion. Question is, can you make it up all those dirt roads in a truck or is it wheeler and jeep trails? Thanks any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've been up that way many times for deer and elk. Matter of fact, I'll be up there with my brother and nephew for the rifle hunt. They close the gate to the higher roads, but I'm not sure when that happens. In October, You can drive up to the border of the national forest, but that's as far as you can go on motorized vehicles.

If you want some more info, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help, as long as you leave a good buck for my nephew! :p

·
Registered
650 Posts
As a general rule, the gate closes the day after labor day and reopens after memorial day. There is a sign at the forest service entrance that gives the specific dates. So... as far as muzzy goes, you will only be able to access the high country on foot or horses. That area gets hammered heavily during the summer months with sight seers, bikers and atv/utv and horse back riders.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
road is closed for the muzzie hunt, at least it has been in the past. as i understand it, not a usfs thing but at request of dwr, least wise thats what the usfs told me. you can drive to the gate. its a rocky bugger in many places. have blown tires on trucks and trailers there so be careful. hooking a sidewall is pretty easy to do. however, after the gate, its a pleasant walk along the road, easy access.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the info. I have been debating all summer on if i should get a wheeler to get up and down those roads. good to know that the gate will be closed by then. Once the gate is closed, does that area get pressured pretty heavy during the muzzleloader hunt?

·
Registered
650 Posts
There are some great animals up on the "flat iron", but you do have to work for them. It is a long hike in from the gate, but if you have the energy and youth and everything else it takes, it can be a good area. Lots of places to hunt, just not a lot of critters. It is a tough area to hunt even when the road is open to vehicles. I hunt the area during the archery hunt and will be up there again Saturday. During the archery season, it is crowded on weekends but void of hunters during the week.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use to live in Kamas, and have hunted the area several times. We have taken a few bucks out of the area. It is a challenging hunt, due to how thick it is. There is also a lot of bear in the area. It gets hunted pretty hard on the riffle hunt, not sure about the muzzy hunt. All I can say is good luck. Hope all works out for you, there are some nice bucks in the area, but it will take some hiking. Most people that hunt the higher area use horses.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There are some access roads up by Smith and Morehouse Reservoir you could look at. The road south and west of the lake takes you to the top of the mountain where there's traditionally a lot of deer. You can use a pick-up on this road though it can be rough in spots.

There are some good deer in the area. Tough unit to hunt though with a ton of private ground, steep mountains, and a pretty good number of hunters on the muzzy even. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also am trying out the Kamas unit for the first time this year. I don't wanna miss out on the hunt so I'm just gonna get out there and walk for 5 days straight If I have to

·
Registered
234 Posts
You will have to hike a lot hunting that country! Make sure in good shape and make sure you are bear savvy! A lot of black bears in that particular area. Finding a good place to glass will help you locate deer in that thick forest.

It's been a great year so far up there. Haven't seen this many buck deer up there since 92

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts