Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I started reading on the November RACs thread and only got to page 5 or so.......so my question is this.....What is the deal with the Unit to Unit deer management? What exactly is going on with it? what will it include etc etc. I would love to go to some of these meetings and find out what is going on in Utah's hunting. Anyone care to fill me in on the deer management......I understand the elk stuff.

Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
UDWR is trying to gauge the successes vs the failures of dividing the state into smaller deer hunting units. They were just trying to receive some public input on the matter thru the RACs. There is the thought that smaller units are easier to manage, will grow larger bucks, etc. The cons to the idea is that it restricts hunter opportunity, provides no biological basis for units already meeting buck objectives, etc. Colorado is the poster child for the success of micro managing, while Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico are the ugly step children which shows micromanaging might not be all its cracked up to be. Some problems for Utah is how do we deal with Dedicated Hunters, Archers, Lifetime Licensees, current Ltd entry units, points, etc.

In the end, the Deer Management Plan is due to be reviewed and this topic will be a hot one.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
This would allow the DWR to 'control' the herds and actually 'manage'. The major draw-back is it would breakup the 'family' hunts even more than the regions have. This makes me hestitant to like the idea. I believe hunter numbers declining is partly caused from lack of options/opportunities to hunt as families. But, I believe this would improve deer numbers in areas where they are struggling, as long as the habitat continues to improve to handle the new increases in buck numbers in the herd population.

PRO

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
FWIW, animals first; hunters second. Not a popular philosophy in Utah, but that's the way it has to be or hunters will eventually end up with nothing at all - and that day is coming soon.

Fact is, there's no management sense at all to the current unit designations with the end result that hunting is not being used as a management tool as it should be. Instead, we have gross mismanagement. I don't know if micromanagement is the way to go, but something needs to change, that's for sure.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Packout said:
UDWR is trying to gauge the successes vs the failures of dividing the state into smaller deer hunting units. They were just trying to receive some public input on the matter thru the RACs. There is the thought that smaller units are easier to manage, will grow larger bucks, etc. The cons to the idea is that it restricts hunter opportunity, provides no biological basis for units already meeting buck objectives, etc. Colorado is the poster child for the success of micro managing, while Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico are the ugly step children which shows micromanaging might not be all its cracked up to be. Some problems for Utah is how do we deal with Dedicated Hunters, Archers, Lifetime Licensees, current Ltd entry units, points, etc.

In the end, the Deer Management Plan is due to be reviewed and this topic will be a hot one.
I agree with your analogies.Habitat wise, they are completely different. I wonder how much of this comes in to play? I know NM and Az. have more issues with drought that could cause a drastic fluctuation in game numbers due to feed, fawn recruitment etc.

I also agree with Finn. We need to start seeing past our noses if we REALLY want things to improve. This may include sacrifices that many of us scoff at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts