Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
ditto. and at the end of the season, if i have not shot, i drop it all out the breach and put it away.

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
I just uncap at the end of the day. I ran a test once with a old hawkin barrel leaving it loaded but uncapped... for 8 months. I wanted to test if the powder really did absorb enough moisture to affect ignition or accuracy. It did not.

I shoot a traditional, so unloading is not possible without shooting. I just take the cap off.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/27...-saf-t-unloader-muzzleloader-unloading-device

It is possible, you just need to have the screw attachment for your ramrod. (and be shooting lead round balls or maxi balls)
Those make things worse if you dont drill the projectile first. Twisting in the screw head merely expands the projectile from the inside out, increasing friction and binding. You minimally need to drill out the center and then thread in the puller jag.

Anywho, at the end of the season if the gun is loaded but unfouled, I will pull the breech and push everything back out that way (My rem has a tube I can thread in the breech to keep powder and gunk out of the rest of the gun).

-DallanC

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
To be clear, I tested with GOEX Black Powder and Pyrodex. No idea if other powders behave differently.

-DallanC

·
Senior Goof
3,605 Posts
If you don't take the cap off your asking for accident. Plus you have to take the cap off when riding in a truck, wheeler. etc
This is what I was going to say. Surprised I read 10 comments to see it.

I cap at trailhead, and remove when I get back to trailhead. That is with an inline ML. If not an inline, or a safe one, then I wouldn't cap until sitting or saw a deer. Safety first, especially when dealing with a weapon known to be temperamental.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just loaded mine tonight. Ready to cap when I see a shooter buck tomorrow!! Good info guys. Thanks and Good Luck out there!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I made a mistake a couple years ago. Went to get my muzzleloader ready tonight. Found I shot my muzzleloader at the end of the season two years ago. Never cleaned it and never took out cap. Made for a long night of cleaning and getting ready.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts