Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any unwanted meat, we found out the wife is allergic to beef and chicken but wild game doesn't seem to effect her so I'd be willing to pay cut and wrap on any unwanted game or even last years meat, we live in box elder county so would like to stay from Layton north. Thanks

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
not to get off topic but this is completely inaccurate. it is illegal to give poultry hormones, and even if it weren't, its been proven that they don't help poultry growth like they do beef, so no one would use them anyways. but i guess raising your own poultry is always an option

Is raising your own poultry an option? Then you bypass the hormones and antibiotics retail meats contain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I raise my own chickens and beef actually but when she kept getting sick the doctors ran a grundle of tests found out along with celiac and graves disease she had an allergic reaction to chicken and beef needless to say we started raising a pig. Next spring I'll raise rabbits to but with the wild game she doesn't get sick and gives her another meat besides pork I'm just not a very successful hunter that's why I reached out to you all

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Have you tried wild duck? If cooked properly it can taste just like Filet Mignon. There's quite a few successful goose and duck hunters on here and with the possession limit being as it is, well I won't go into any detail beyond that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have you tried wild duck? If cooked properly it can taste just like Filet Mignon. There's quite a few successful goose and duck hunters on here and with the possession limit being as it is, well I won't go into any detail beyond that.
How do you cook it? Not to get off topic ... maybe link to a good thread? Thx

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Well I usually just breast out the ducks especially if they are smaller. Soak the breast in salt water in the fridge for 72 hours changing out the water every day. Put 2-3 table spoons of olive oil and a couple of pats of butter in a heavy skillet, and get it up to medium high heat. Cook the breasts 2-4 minutes on each side depending on thickness. The meat will be medium rare or thereabouts. Let it sit for about 5 minutes for the juices to come back into it and then slice it up in 1/4 inch thick slices across the breast. I season it with salt, pepper and montreal steak seasoning to cook it. I could blindfold you and you would swear you were eating the most tender filet mignon you'd ever eaten.

Reactions: StillAboveGround

·
Super Moderator
3,441 Posts
The way to get a duck to taste like Filet Mignon is to start with a good Filet Mignon and some duck. Now throw away the duck, season the filet to taste and cook.
Agreed! This is the first year that I have done ducks in the smoker and they are actually really good! I have given a lot to friends and neighbors and they all have asked for more.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
The way to get a duck to taste like Filet Mignon is to start with a good Filet Mignon and some duck. Now throw away the duck, season the filet to taste and cook.

-DallanC
Dallan, Dallan, Dallan....hmmmmmmm you need to eat some of mine...serious, my daughter thought it was FM the first time she ate it.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
I used to hunt alot of ducks... I never, ever found any recipe that they tasted good with. I just couldnt stomach eating them anymore and quit hunting them. I'm not saying someone somewhere might have a passable recipe, but I've tried too many wildly different recipes and they all were terrible.

If it works for you then good, you have 1 less person in the marsh to compete with hehe. Now Swan was perhaps the best waterfowl I ever ate... and Canadian Goose is great as well.

-DallanC

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I used to hunt alot of ducks... I never, ever found any recipe that they tasted good with. I just couldnt stomach eating them anymore and quit hunting them. I'm not saying someone somewhere might have a passable recipe, but I've tried too many wildly different recipes and they all were terrible.

If it works for you then good, you have 1 less person in the marsh to compete with hehe. Now Swan was perhaps the best waterfowl I ever ate... and Canadian Goose is great as well.

-DallanC
That's what you get for eating Poule d'eau, mergansers and smiley's. ;-)

·
Administrator
7,957 Posts
not to get off topic but this is completely inaccurate. it is illegal to give poultry hormones, and even if it weren't, its been proven that they don't help poultry growth like they do beef, so no one would use them anyways. but i guess raising your own poultry is always an option
I can see how you interpreted my post JM now that I re-read it.

My implication was that by raising your own birds, you then eliminate hormones and antibiotics found in the meats that his wife is allergic to.

Follow up question: I don't know much about your wife's condition so forgive the ignorant question. Are all poultry products off limits? Or would a turkey be acceptable, or chuckar, or pheasant?

Im just curious if raising these birds at home would help her dietary needs. Heck, you could even raise ducks at home. But not emu.... those things are jerks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well we're sure of chicken but basically everything else with feathers its trial by fire so I wanna make sure she doesn't have a reaction before I buy a bunch and raise them, not that I wouldn't want to cause I absolutely would and I'm all about raising our own food.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
All poultry has hormones, they are natural occurring. You are right about chickens being given hormones against U.S.D.A. laws and unnecessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I could teach you to cook duck 1000 ways but the best by far is stuffed with garlic, oranges, onions and rosemary, drizzle with soy and herbs, roasted until very crispy, served with a orange sauce. Canard de la Orange !:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts