Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I have 13 Bull Moose points. I know there are a few areas that I could put in the draw for and I would be pretty much guaranteed a tag. But I'd rather have to wait a couple more years to get the best area I can with a good chance of success for a trophy.

Where would you put in for if you had 13 points?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It looks like there are about 400 people with as many or more points than you. If you just want to shoot a moose than go with any unit other than the South Slope (unless you are familiar with that area) or Chalk Creek (unless you have access). If you want a chance at an exceptional bull then you are about 10+- years out from the best units. I would say the Wasatch, Ogden, Cache or North Slope units would be your best bets for the best chance at a great bull. Every unit will produce good bulls. I would also choose a unit which will allow you to scout and hunt often. Moose hunts can be frustrating and long if you are trying to find a good bull (or easy if one is standing in the road).

It took me over 20 years, but I drew this year and shot a 53 inch, 10 x 10 bull. I hunted/scouted over 35 days (not all day every day) and I saw 34 bulls during the 12 days I hunted. Now I get try for 40 years to draw a sheep tag.

Best of Luck. You have waited 13+ years, what is another 10......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Packout said:
It looks like there are about 400 people with as many or more points than you. If you just want to shoot a moose than go with any unit other than the South Slope (unless you are familiar with that area) or Chalk Creek (unless you have access). If you want a chance at an exceptional bull then you are about 10+- years out from the best units. I would say the Wasatch, Ogden, Cache or North Slope units would be your best bets for the best chance at a great bull. Every unit will produce good bulls. I would also choose a unit which will allow you to scout and hunt often. Moose hunts can be frustrating and long if you are trying to find a good bull (or easy if one is standing in the road).

It took me over 20 years, but I drew this year and shot a 53 inch, 10 x 10 bull. I hunted/scouted over 35 days (not all day every day) and I saw 34 bulls during the 12 days I hunted. Now I get try for 40 years to draw a sheep tag.

Best of Luck. You have waited 13+ years, what is another 10......
Sounds like you got a great Bull, Packout. Congratulations! It really is a "Once-in-a-lifetime, isn't it? If you look at the data, patterns, and proclamation a little closer you'll see I really don't have to wait any longer for my tag. I just need to pick the right Unit. And I have quite a few to choose from. That's the reason for my original post.

As everyone knows, half the tags for each Unit go to the group with the most bonus points. If you get one of these tags the DWR terms it a "Bonus Permit". If you draw a tag that is not part of the half that go to the group of hunters with the most points, the DWR calls it a "Regular Permit".

In the 2007 draw results data there were 16 people who had 14 points. 11 of them drew their "Bonus Permit".

180 people had 13 points. 47 of them drew a Bonus Permit. 1 drew a Regular Permit.

If you look at the CWMU's, there are 4 with more than 1 tag. That means there are 4 Bonus Permits for CWMU tags.

The draw success ratio for these 4 CWMU Bonus Permits went like this:

13 points, 2 applicants, 1 in 2.0 success ratio
12 points, 3 applicants, 1 in 3.0 success ratio
13 points, 3 applicants, 1 in 3.0 success ratio
12 points, 2 applicants, 1 in 2.0 success ratio

There are quite a few public units where the Bonus Permits went to hunters with less than 12 points.

My point is that there are areas I could put in for where, like I said, I am guaranteed a tag.

A lot of people like the Ogden Unit. Last year 13 of the 26 tags were, of course, Bonus Permits. 18 hunters were in the top group so the success ratio was 1 in 1.4 for Bonus Permits.

For example, if the patterns hold, I'd bet my odds for the Ogden Unit for 2008 would be well over 99%.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
So do you have 13 points now? (After the draw) That is what I understood from your post. If so then there 461 people with the same or more points than you. To be guaranteed a tag, depending on the unit it could be 10+- years to wait. That is the point I was making. You can draw many units, but seemed to ask concerning the higher-quality units.

If you currently have 13 points and no one jumps ahead of you then it will take:

Cache - 2 years to work thru those ahead of you and 4 more years to get thru your point pool (guaranteed tag)

Wasatch - 5 years to work thru those ahead of you and 8 more years to get thru your pool (guaranteed a tag)

Ogden - 1 year to work thru those ahead of you and 2 more years to get thru your pool (guaranteed a tag)

North Slope Summit - 3 years to work thru those ahead of you and 5 more years to get thru your pool (guaranteed a tag)

East Canyon - 2 years to work thru those ahead of you and 3 more years to get thru your pool (guaranteed a tag)

Looks like you are right about the Ogden unit. They did kill some great bulls there this year, which might draw a few more applicants, but I wouldn't think many in the top pools will jump. I would stay away from CWMUs with your point status. Sounds like you know what you are doing. If you know any of the above units then you should do fine. And there is always a chance to draw one of the regular permits. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Packout said:
So do you have 13 points now? (After the draw) That is what I understood from your post. If so then there 461 people with the same or more points than you. To be guaranteed a tag, depending on the unit it could be 10+- years to wait. That is the point I was making. You can draw many units, but seemed to ask concerning the higher-quality units.

If you currently have 13 points and no one jumps ahead of you then it will take:

Cache - 2 years to work thru those ahead of you and 4 more years to get thru your point pool (guaranteed tag)

Wasatch - 5 years to work thru those ahead of you and 8 more years to get thru your pool (guaranteed a tag)

Ogden - 1 year to work thru those ahead of you and 2 more years to get thru your pool (guaranteed a tag)

North Slope Summit - 3 years to work thru those ahead of you and 5 more years to get thru your pool (guaranteed a tag)

East Canyon - 2 years to work thru those ahead of you and 3 more years to get thru your pool (guaranteed a tag)

Looks like you are right about the Ogden unit. They did kill some great bulls there this year, which might draw a few more applicants, but I wouldn't think many in the top pools will jump. I would stay away from CWMUs with your point status. Sounds like you know what you are doing. If you know any of the above units then you should do fine. And there is always a chance to draw one of the regular permits. Best of luck to you.
Current point total is 13. Keep in mind that (obviously) alot of people just buy a point and do not apply for a tag. But, dude, why the pessimism?

In 2007...
Cache: 7 people with 14 points put in. All 7 drew. People who were putting in for that unit with max points; GONE.
I already stated the results for Ogden.
MORGAN-SOUTH RICH: Max points for that area were 11! Guaranteed tag for me.
EAST CANYON: Max point applicant for that are was 13. Two applicants. Both drew; GONE. Guaranteed tag for me if patterns hold.
EAST CANYON, MORGAN-SUMMIT: Max point for applicants was 12. Both applicants drew; GONE. Guaranteed tag for me if patterns hold.
KAMAS: 3 out of 4 drew.
WASATCH: Granted, the odds are against me.

I was just asking where the good people on this site would put in for if they had 13 points.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
My pick would be the washatch unite. that the one I will be puting in for when i get four more points. I already know where a couple good bulls are i will just have to find them and follow them when i get the tag. good luck on the draw and the hunt if you draw.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Packout isn’t being pessimistic he is stating the facts. When you look at the point’s statistic page you said you received your thirtieth point this year that would have put you in the 12 point category for 2007. That means all the guys that are showing 13 points now have 14 so max points will be 14 you will have 13 going into the draw. You still have a while if it takes you to the max. Hope it doesn’t.

·
Registered
782 Posts
dont you guys know it only takes 4 points to draw a wasatch tag?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts