Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Use of Walk-In Coolers

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  hunting777 
#1 ·
I've tried searching old threads but haven't come across this exact question, but I'm curious: do any of the local (greater SLC area) meat processors/butchers let you hang a carcass without them processing it, too? I prefer doing my own butchering, but I don't have a walk in cooler to let meat hang for several days.

In the past I've processed meat within 36ish hours of harvest, but I'd like to try letting the meat age a bit. I was thinking places might hang something for you and charge a daily rate or something? I'm not sure if the space you'd take up is worth it to them, or if there are regulatory issues with that. I'll call around to a few places to ask, but I figured I'd check here as well.

#4 ·
The easiest way to go is to buy a used fridge, take out the shelves, and make a metal frame that allows you to hang the quarters.

A home ac unit won't get the temp low enough to age meat. Most won't go below 60 degrees. And I'm not aware of any that would get you to the 33-37 degree recommended range.

#7 ·
The easiest way to go is to buy a used fridge, take out the shelves, and make a metal frame that allows you to hang the quarters.

A home ac unit won't get the temp low enough to age meat. Most won't go below 60 degrees. And I'm not aware of any that would get you to the 33-37 degree recommended range.

https://www.storeitcold.com/

Purchase a Coolbot and the window ac unit work great. I am in process of making a 4x8 one now. A good friend made one and I am patterning his.

#5 ·
My muzzy deer I brought back to the shop, turned on the swamp cooler and it brought it down to below 40 overnight and kept it a about 40 during the day. I didn't trust the warm weather so I let it hang for about 4 days and then cut it up.

#16 ·
The Coolbot and window AC (must have digital control) will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. Materials to build your own walk in will be somewhere around $1000 all said and done. At $50 per week, it would take you 10 years to spend the same amount for a two week hang, or 20 if you only let hang for one week.

I just converted a small storage room in my shop into a small walk in cooler, will work great for late fall/winter hunts as it will regulate whatever temp it needs to be when its cold outside. Late summer and early fall is a different story, I may need to go the Coolbot and window AC route next year.

The thing about investing the coin in your own small walk in is making sure you plan on staying put for a few years...

#11 ·
Space is the bigger issue for me. I've got a garage but it's already filled with various other stuff, including a second fridge. I've thought about trying to empty the fridge during hunting season and filling it with quarters, but alas, the wife is having none of that.

The other component of having access to a legit walk-in, is if on the lucky chance that I could harvest something close to the truck, I could gut it and keep the carcass intact, instead breaking things down in the field.

Maybe it will be cold enough in a few weeks that I can just hang it in the garage for a few days.

#13 ·
Space is the bigger issue for me. I've got a garage but it's already filled with various other stuff, including a second fridge. I've thought about trying to empty the fridge during hunting season and filling it with quarters, but alas, the wife is having none of that. The other component of having access to a legit walk-in, is if on the lucky chance that I could harvest something close to the truck, I could gut it and keep the carcass intact, instead breaking things down in the field.
Maybe it will be cold enough in a few weeks that I can just hang it in the garage for a few days.
Sounds like Percheye gave you the exact info you needed. The rest of us gave you the info we thought you needed. haha Best of luck on your hunt.

hunting 777- that is an interesting idea- I've seen them work well and others not work. $400 for the coolbot, $600 for the a/c unit (which can't do it alone) and 200+ for the panels- probably into it $1400 or so when it is done. So it is a decent deal when compared to other walk-ins and if you have the space. For most people I bet a fridge is a better, much cheaper route.

#21 ·
I've tried searching old threads but haven't come across this exact question, but I'm curious: do any of the local (greater SLC area) meat processors/butchers let you hang a carcass without them processing it, too? I prefer doing my own butchering, but I don't have a walk in cooler to let meat hang for several days.

In the past I've processed meat within 36ish hours of harvest, but I'd like to try letting the meat age a bit. I was thinking places might hang something for you and charge a daily rate or something? I'm not sure if the space you'd take up is worth it to them, or if there are regulatory issues with that. I'll call around to a few places to ask, but I figured I'd check here as well.
Tried wet aging mine last year when it was too hot to hang and turned out really good. Processed everything and vacuum packed it. Packed the garage fridge full and let it sit for 3 weeks before moving it to the freezer. Sample packed some backstrap to eat at 1, 2, and 3 week intervals and could tell a difference in taste and tenderness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.