Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who has a late season cow tag and he has asked me to join him next weekend. He went out last weekend and saw a good herd of elk but they are out in these huge meadows with no cover for a hunter to get close enough for a ethical shot.
I'm wondering about using a white bed sheet as cover and slowing working our way closer to the elk if we run into them again.
Do you think it'll work if the wind is right or do you think the elk are too smart for it? Any other thoughts for cover?

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Orange requirements aside, why a sheet and not painters coveralls? I'd be worried about the sheet whipping in the wind causing motion.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
7,921 Posts
I have to agree with Dallan's point of the hunter orange not being visible if you were to cover up with a sheet or otherwise.

Its all fun and games until someone with poor eyesight shoots your buddy thinking he is a yeti or something.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
I have a buddy who has a late season cow tag and he has asked me to join him next weekend. He went out last weekend and saw a good herd of elk but they are out in these huge meadows with no cover for a hunter to get close enough for a ethical shot.
I'm wondering about using a white bed sheet as cover and slowing working our way closer to the elk if we run into them again.
Do you think it'll work if the wind is right or do you think the elk are too smart for it? Any other thoughts for cover?
I'm lovin' this thread, thanks. I still have a white bed sheet with a hole cut in it, like a poncho. I would wear it coyote hunting, smear a little antelope blood or rabbit blood on it. Wait 30 minutes, have a smoke, kill a coyote and go home. Those were the days. Quite a few deer would come up close sometimes if the wind was right and if I didn't make a lot of noise making a pot of coffee.

I think a white sheet would help for elk. You still have issues with your odor and movement. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Reactions: AJ13

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the ghostblind idea. I wonder if I could do a similar thing with a large piece of cardboard and either painting it white or stapling a sheet to it. I could walk behind it and still wear my orange. My brain is working now, this could turn out to be a fun project.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
As kids me and my brother would take white sheets and cut holes in the top for our heads and hike up the mountain in winter because we loved to watch the deer. We would get up there and in position at first light and just sit down in the open. What a show!! Monster bucks walking right past us at 5 feet. They never knew we were there. We were always cautious to not spook them as the old man would lecture us before leaving on the problems with that. (not spooking them didn't always work out :fear:)This was back in the mid 80s so there was some monsters on the front in those days. Its works but as has been stated; to use this tactic during a rifle hunt you would have the hunter orange challenge. I think the idea of holding a white sheet in front of you as you approach would work to an extent.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I have done it for waterfowl a number of times, and it works like a charm. Never thought about it for big game.

The hunter orange issue is an interesting one. Can you hunt during the rifle season from a ground blind? Your orange would not be displayed in a ground blind either.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hunter orange shouldn't be an issue since big game don't see color. They see movement. If you're worried about solid orange, get a break up hunter orange vest and put it on over your coveralls, staple it to your sheet, whatever. It should work as long as the wind is right and the animals don't detect your movements.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As kids me and my brother would take white sheets and cut holes in the top for our heads and hike up the mountain in winter because we loved to watch the deer. We would get up there and in position at first light and just sit down in the open. What a show!! Monster bucks walking right past us at 5 feet. They never knew we were there. We were always cautious to not spook them as the old man would lecture us before leaving on the problems with that. (not spooking them didn't always work out :fear:)This was back in the mid 80s so there was some monsters on the front in those days. Its works but as has been stated; to use this tactic during a rifle hunt you would have the hunter orange challenge. I think the idea of holding a white sheet in front of you as you approach would work to an extent.
This sounds like so much fun. I wanna try.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hunter orange shouldn't be an issue since big game don't see color.
Its not for the game... its for the kid who put a 44x nightforce on his muzzleloader and wants to hit an elk at 500 yards.

-DallanC
Point well taken...I was just trying to point out that the elk don't care about blaze orange. Orange is important to stand out to other hunters though...especially the type you are referring to.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If you don't hunt like a rifle hunter you shouldn't have a problem getting in rifle range on those elk in the meadow

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mostly archery hunt so I don't think like a rifle hunter thus the reason I want cover to get closer for a ethical shot.
I think some sort of stalking blind might work as it breaks up my shape and we'll just have to take it slow working our way into the elk, if we even get a chance to try and stalk them.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Would you hike after deer or elk with your bow in a blind? No you would set it up ahead of time.

There are several ways to close the distance on an elk herd in the middle of a field.

First use the cover of darkness. You can still see elk in the snow in the middle of a field at night.

Second come in at them with the sun against your back.

Third use a fence line, ditch, ect to close the distance.

Fourth you can try the good old I'm not looking at you trick and walk near them but not at them. If you dont make eye contact and your not walking straight at them you can cut the distance down to rifle range easy.

I should have mentioned this first but who ever has the tag should be the only one going after the elk. Less movment less noise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Fourth you can try the good old I'm not looking at you trick and walk near them but not at them. If you dont make eye contact and your not walking straight at them you can cut the distance down to rifle range easy.
Its pretty crazy how often that works. I remember people saying the Indians never looked game in the eye from any distance, they felt the animals could "sense" it. Works for me!

-DallanC

·
Registered
401 Posts
get a big white flat sheet cardboard and put some handles on it and use it as a blind to where you can move with it. That way you can still be compliant with the orange requirement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am in agreement with MWscott. Deer and Elk only see gray tones. an orange sheet wouldn't look and different than a white sheet. You are better off breaking up the pattern and limiting any movement that can be detected or interpreted as a threat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts