Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Have you used radios/cell phones to locate and hunt big game?

• Yep, love it

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Nope, hate it--the radio waves give the deer funny balls

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Use to, but I thought too many bucks/bulls were testicularly deficient so I stopped

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Never even thought about it

Votes: 4 10.3%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember as a kid using handheld radios to find cow elk and coordinate the family to fill our tags, but we stopped doing this 10 years ago after getting a warning from a CO.

Who here has no problem using radios/cell phones to locate big game? Any opposed may so manifest it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Very sparingly, We use cell phone when available to find out where each other is. Text only.

Never used radios. They are to loud. I have over heard peoples conversations from across canyons.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I have used both and will continue to use both while out in the field. They can be very handy tools in keeping tabs on others you might be hunting with and also communicating useful information like there is a giant 6 point is sitting up here by the truck on the road or you better get your butt back to camp if you want dinner. They are less helpful if you are actually pursuing a specific animal due to their propensity to by loud.

What I don't find useful, however, is polls. Sorry johnnycakes...no offense intended. Polls are lame.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Plain and simple...it would be a job killer! The guide business would have to shut down. Their use starts with that call to the shooter that the one he wants is cornered and awaiting his arrives, then used by the guides to assure the animal stays put until the shooters arrival, then used to help walk the shooter to the best shooting platform to make the kill. My lord man, are you saying you want this stopped.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We use em........ Here's an example of a couple conversations using them a few years ago when my son had his first cow elk tag. I didn't have a tag. I stayed on a ridge while he went through the trees and across to another ridge looking for elk and or springs we knew were around.

"Dad, how do you tell a elk calf from a deer?" Me "laughing, don't shoot if you really don't know." Turned out to be a calf but by the time he knew for sure, it and his mama were on the move. (He definitely knows how to tell now.) Next conversation "Dad, can I shoot a small spike with an antlerless tag, how tall do the antlers have to be?" Me "Laughing again, no you can't shoot a spike" At least he was seeing elk.

When we split up I had told him to head back to the wheelers at 11:00. Over the Radio, "Dad I see a cow elk" Me "shoot it" Him, "but it's 11:00" Me, "SHOOT THE THING!"
I heard the shot then he called me to give me his co-ordinates so I could go help him.
I had sent him off to the truck with his first load and he was very late getting back. I was really worried when he called on the radio to let me know the 4 wheeler he hiked back to had a flat and he had to walk all the way back to the truck. Took a load off my mind knowing he was OK.

We also used it to give coordinates so I could know where he was using my GPS map while he was hunting. It was reassuring to be in contact with him without being right at his side.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I was exchanging texts with my brother in LA this morning from his duck blind and we had our oldest brother on the chain. First text....4 teal came in, 3 stayed...picture of 3 nice colored green wing drakes...a few minutes later...working on a bunch of mallards circling the lake......nothing....next text a picture of a hen green wing...next text from him...gotta leave for work in 30 minutes I hope some more come by...last text...nothing came in range heading to work. Of course we were texting him back razzing him too. I routinely text my wife when duck hunting when it's slow or if we get a nice unexpected type of duck. Since I still work for a living I also check my emails periodically when I am bored hunting. Sometimes I will call the son if we are separated and ask how he is doing and maybe have him move to my spot or me move to his whichever seems to be the better spot.

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
We use radios, a lot like Doc uses them. I like his examples so I will copy him and give a couple of my conversations.

1: Archery elk hunting my Friend calls and says, "I have a couple of cows here do you think I should shoot one? Me: "If you would like one take one, I just missed a spike and I am going over to pick up my arrow......... I called him back and said, "Wait, don't shoot, my arrow is really bloody and there is blood spatter everywhere, come over and help me track him down."

2: Archery LE Elk hunt, I had just shot my elk and pulled the radio out of the pack turned it on and called to see if my friend had made it up the mountain, he answered right away and said, "I just got to your truck and got the radio out and just turned it on, great timing." I gave him the GPS coordinates and he and another friend headed my way.

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
OH, and for noise I use Motorola CP200 radios with temple transducers, they don't plug either ear so your ability to hear is not impaired and whispers from one come through loud and clear to the other person and another person standing next to you couldn't hear what comes through the transducer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We always have radios available to keep tabs on each other. We use the ear buds to reduce noise. We never use them to guide a hunter in on an animal for the shot. To me it just doesn't seem sporting. I will use it to tell them they just spooked the animal out of the country so they don't keep sneaking. We also use them to help locate animals that are down. The country just never looks the same when you are near where you thought the animal should be.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
We also use them to help locate animals that are down. The country just never looks the same when you are near where you thought the animal should be.
This is a great use of the radio, unless your idiot brother leaves his radio with you accidentally when he sets out to go look for the downed game. Giving him hand signals like I do my dog in the duck blind was pretty entertaining, though. I just wish he would have been wearing a shock collar...

I've helped my brother get into position to start making a final stalk on an elk via radio. There came a time where I had to just give him some final instructions and we had to go silent, but as stated, things don't ever look the same when you cross a canyon and get to the other side. So getting him to a place where he could actually start the stalk, we did it via radio. He didn't end up killing the bull that day, but it was sure exciting to watch in the binos and spotting scope!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I've never used radios to locate and hunt big game. I use the radios to talk to my brothers while hunting.

typical conversation goes something like this:

[me] "W2U, do you copy?"
[me] "W2U, do you copy?"
[hopper luv] "I copy"
[me] "you're not W2U"
[hopper luv] "what do you need"
[me] "I need W2U"
[hopper luv] "his radio is off."
[me] "tell him to turn it on."
[hopper luv] "W2U, will you turn your radio on?"

I never thought of trying to locate an elk using a radio. How does that work?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I've never used radios to locate and hunt big game. I use the radios to talk to my brothers while hunting.

typical conversation goes something like this:

[me] "W2U, do you copy?"
[me] "W2U, do you copy?"
[hopper luv] "I copy"
[me] "you're not W2U"
[hopper luv] "what do you need"
[me] "I need W2U"
[hopper luv] "his radio is off."
[me] "tell him to turn it on."
[hopper luv] "W2U, will you turn your radio on?"

I never thought of trying to locate an elk using a radio. How does that work?
Well first you have to teach the elk how to use the radio and a gps, then you call out to the elk and ask him to report his gps coordinates to you. .. .. :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
We always take our radios in and I take mine when going solo. Last hunt we went about as deep as one can into the Uintas we took a sat phone. We were there for 13 days. It is a great benefit knowing that a person can get help if needed.

A huge majority of our hunt is done in stands or ground blinds over water with a bow. We let the elk, deer and bear locate us for the most part. We have never used them for relaying locations of animals when we are on a spot and stalk hunt. Don't care to either but to each their own.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've never used to help the hunting, but have taken two deer and one elk while on call at a local hospital.

·
Super Moderator
9,659 Posts
I was hunting in Arizona last spring and was up at a rattle snake den that I knew about. A friend was with me as we took photos of the snakes and watched them. They were out of the den and all over the general area. Another friend came over the ridge and was watching us and as we started to walk away he made a sound over the radio that sounded just like a snake rattling. My other friend went straight up into the air and landed about 10' away from where he had been standing. He figured that he had stepped on one or was very close. I was splitting a gut laughing at him when I realized just what had happened.

He did swear to get even with my other hunting partner.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts