Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this idea rattling around in my noggin for a couple years now and I've decided to drag it out into the light of day to get some feedback. I'm thinking this is a good idea with potential for several positive results. Depending on the feedback here, I might start spreading it elsewhere on the web and who knows, it could actually happen if there's support for it. (Yes, I have experience in organizing similar symposiums, albeit in a different area of interest.)

Purpose and objectives: Bring bowhunters from around the state together to...

a. Share information about existing conservation organizations, clubs, ranges, shoots and other resources for Utah bowhunters.

b. Devise an integrated and comprehensive bowhunter education program that would be readily available to all areas of the state.

c. Promote positive interaction, collaboration and mutual support between the state's organizing efforts.

d. Create both formal and informal live forums for bowhunters to discuss bowhunting in Utah today and in the future.

e. Establish a set of consensual goals (if any) that all bowhunters can support.

When and Where: Spring, 2009 in central Utah, (right after Turkey season)

Who: Anyone and everyone would be invited, especially representatives of conservation organizations and clubs.

Why: People won't attend just to talk, so in conjunction with the symposium I envision a charity shoot, a 3D range, a series of archery workshops and live entertainment.

Questions:

1. If such an event was scheduled, would anyone attend? Would you yourself attend?
2. If such an event was scheduled, could it achieve any of the stated goals?

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
1. If such an event was scheduled, would anyone attend? Would you yourself attend?
2. If such an event was scheduled, could it achieve any of the stated goals?
1.I think the turn out would be good. I would/will attend
2.Yes

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I'd attend as well (For real). My experience may be similar to yours finn, in that a small percentage of the "I'll show up" guys actually do........I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
I'd attend as well (For real). My experience may be similar to yours finn, in that a small percentage of the "I'll show up" guys actually do........I think it's a great idea.
A good showing is possible, we got around 30 to a I400 meeting, I suspect that at least that many would come, way more if a shot was set-up and made a part of it! Let me know what I can do to help Finn.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounds great. I am sure we could find enough people with some 3D targets to build a decent course up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think it is a great idea to get everyone involved, especially if organizations sponsored and/or spread the word to their members. I would come. Let me know if I can help as well!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I like the idea. Even If i couldn't attend I like the goals mentioned. I beleive it would have better turn out than expected. Especially if a shoot was involved.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Somthun like this could be huge, and let me know if you need me for the live entertainment, I know that I entertain myself very much. You may need a place that could hold a ton of camping spots, I see this being a big weekend thing.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I am sorry if I am a fly in the ointment but I need to voice a concern that I have on this idea. I would think that what you are offering would be a great idea that could be very fun. I love going to sportsmans banquets, Treasure Mountain shoots, and all kinds of fun activities like this. I even just recently returned from the NFR in Vegas. I love getting together with other people of my same intrests to have fun. The one thing that they all have in common and turns me away more than to it is the fact that they all become drunk fests. Country jam was a good idea and that would have been fun to go and see Chris Ledoux but again it had to get marred by people who can't seem to enjoy life while sober.

Keep it a family event and you could count me in.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
elk22hunter said:
I am sorry if I am a fly in the ointment but I need to voice a concern that I have on this idea. I would think that what you are offering would be a great idea that could be very fun. I love going to sportsmans banquets, Treasure Mountain shoots, and all kinds of fun activities like this. I even just recently returned from the NFR in Vegas. I love getting together with other people of my same intrests to have fun. The one thing that they all have in common and turns me away more than to it is the fact that they all become drunk fests. Country jam was a good idea and that would have been fun to go and see Chris Ledoux but again it had to get marred by people who can't seem to enjoy life while sober.

If you could hold it indoors you wouldn't have that problem. You could charge people and hold it at south towne convention center that would be cool. If you hold it outdoors and make it like a overnight camping event it would be huge but you would have the drinking there would be no way around it.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
elk22hunter said:
But then you'd lose all the folks (and there are a bunch) that simply hate kids (except your daughter...she can come. :wink: )

Plus I thought thats what Chris Ledux was all about, chewin' and fightin'?

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Zim, that was pretty dang funny.

Is it just me or did anybody else think that John Header looked just like Tommy Shaw in Blades of Glory? (Zims Avatar)

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
elk22hunter said:
Zim, that was pretty dang funny.

Is it just me or did anybody else think that John Header looked just like Tommy Shaw in Blades of Glory? (Zims Avatar)
Hah! I've never seen Blades of Glory, but I thought it was Tommy Shaw until you mentioned it.
:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts