Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
For literally years I have done everything to try and draw a tag to hunt for my first time. Never once have I been successful. This isn't for monster elk or deer units. ing cow elk tags. No wonder people poach. you dwr!

·
Registered
335 Posts
You don't need to draw a cow tag to hunt cows on Current Creek. Simply go buy a general elk tag (your choice of archer, rifle, or muzzy) and then you can buy an antlerless control permit in addition. If you're lucky, or just plain good, you could kill both a spike and a cow. You can do all of this on over the counter tags which are available to purchase right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great to know Ben, thank you. Fowl mouth and berry, first of all I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. So that coupled with big game regulations sometimes being confusing lead to my lack of understanding. But I'm glad that you have it down so well fowlmouth, I'm sure you've helped many new hunters that may be struggling to get a grasp on things. Not trolling or looking for attention. It was a rant about something that frustrated me. if I wanted attention I have a wife for that. While I'm no Stephen hawking I am smarter than to try and have a good time trolling a wildlife forum. I'm trying to build skills to pass on to my kids so that we can enjoy quality time together in the future and they can perhaps share the reverence for this land I have.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There are lots of good people on this forum that can help you. All you need to do is ask. Drawing a tag is getting harder and harder these days and the application process is part of it. I helped a long time friend apply for the first time this year and he didn't draw anything. Sometimes that's the way it goes. That said, very few antlerless tags or general buck tags take 3 or more years to draw.

Sometimes knowing the question to ask is the hardest part. archerben has provided a great starting point if you want to hunt Currant Creek.

General Bull/Spike tags are on sale now. If you're interested in other hunts, here is a list of the remaining big game tags. Some you can buy now. Some go on sale next week.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/remaining-permits.html

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The DWR is an administrative agency that is not entirely to blame for your unfounded frustration. You may want to tell off the wildlife board or maybe the state legislature as they actually set the regulations the DWR enforces. It's like someone telling off the IRS--really you need to tell off your congressman.

There is TONS of hunting opportunity in this state if one is willing to look. If your post would have been titled: "New hunter needs advice on maximizing hunting opportunity" you would have more help than you could imagine from the fine folks on this forum including myself. As it stands now I will let you be.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Great to know Ben, thank you. Fowl mouth and berry, first of all I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. So that coupled with big game regulations sometimes being confusing lead to my lack of understanding. But I'm glad that you have it down so well fowlmouth, I'm sure you've helped many new hunters that may be struggling to get a grasp on things. Not trolling or looking for attention. It was a rant about something that frustrated me. if I wanted attention I have a wife for that. While I'm no Stephen hawking I am smarter than to try and have a good time trolling a wildlife forum. I'm trying to build skills to pass on to my kids so that we can enjoy quality time together in the future and they can perhaps share the reverence for this land I have.
I'm a license vendor and am happy to get you a permit over the phone, I'll be at work around noon. It'll be $85 if I remember right, $50 for the spike tag, $35 for the antlerless control permit.

My number 435-671-3024.

Next time rather than throw another entity under the bus like you did above, feel free to ask what YOU are doing wrong. I don't hunt antlerless so I may be wrong here but I don't recall I single LE antlerless hunt in Utah that takes more than 3 points to draw. This means that more than likely it's not the state that's at fault it's your lack of understanding. Like has been stated above there are a bunch of people here that are more than happy to help a fella out with answers to questions like this. There also a bunch of us who are are incredibly sick of rants and rhetoric like the original post.

Feel free to call me anytime and I'll point in the direction of some elk to hunt and how to get a tag to hunt them!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Only the archer lose out

I'm in the same boat. I'll be arching for elk with an over the counter tag. With my limited success on archery elk - even taking a cow is pretty tough. It sure would be nice to let those in possession of an archery tag to buy a muzzy or rifle cow tag to hunt the appropriate season.

... that is, if thy're really trying to "knock down" the out of control elk population.

signed,
I'm deserving of special treatment and a whiner.
:Cry:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm a license vendor and am happy to get you a permit over the phone, I'll be at work around noon. It'll be $85 if I remember right, $50 for the spike tag, $35 for the antlerless control permit.

My number 435-671-3024.

Next time rather than throw another entity under the bus like you did above, feel free to ask what YOU are doing wrong. I don't hunt antlerless so I may be wrong here but I don't recall I single LE antlerless hunt in Utah that takes more than 3 points to draw. This means that more than likely it's not the state that's at fault it's your lack of understanding. Like has been stated above there are a bunch of people here that are more than happy to help a fella out with answers to questions like this. There also a bunch of us who are are incredibly sick of rants and rhetoric like the original post.

Feel free to call me anytime and I'll point in the direction of some elk to hunt and how to get a tag to hunt them!
Believe me the first place I point fingers is myself. However in my defense I had called the dwr office and spoke to a woman yesterday who told me " I haven't drawn in a couple years either. Thad how it happens sometimes"

My frustration lies in others drawing cow tags consistantly and I draw nothing. However, given the information archerben relayed to me I need to concede that those people perhaps simply get a spike or any bull tag and a control tag as well. I can't tell you how many people I have asked about the drawing process and how to be successful in getting hunting rights and it hasn't been mentioned.

Now that I know what Ben told me I have nothing more to say. I don't care about trophy hunts. Only time with the family and a full freezer. I appreciate your help with this.

*edit- my phone conversation with dwr was me asking what I can do to get on those hunts. I was not angry till after the phone call haha

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you want. You can send me PM (private message) and ill be more than happy to go over the odds for each of the units you would like to hunt and show you some others that are easier draws.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Believe me the first place I point fingers is myself. However in my defense I had called the dwr office and spoke to a woman yesterday who told me " I haven't drawn in a couple years either. Thad how it happens sometimes"

My frustration lies in others drawing cow tags consistantly and I draw nothing. However, given the information archerben relayed to me I need to concede that those people perhaps simply get a spike or any bull tag and a control tag as well. I can't tell you how many people I have asked about the drawing process and how to be successful in getting hunting rights and it hasn't been mentioned.

Now that I know what Ben told me I have nothing more to say. I don't care about trophy hunts. Only time with the family and a full freezer. I appreciate your help with this.
Although your initial post was a bit rough on the DWR, I'm glad you asked AND LISTENED (so to speak)! Not only did you get your answer on the hunt, you (and others) got a lesson on how the Utah wildlife management political system works, and it starts with YOU. Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I kinda liked the OP.

Reactions: gdog

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hopefully the flailing on the kitchen floor was for dramatic effect.....

Yea its getting a little harder to draw tags these days, but there aren't many cow tags that are taking more than 1-2 points for a guaranteed tag. Several are drawing with zero points. If you want a hard to draw area, buck up and pay your dues like the rest of us. There are several units that hold more elk than the currant creek area, that are drawing with 1-0 points.

There are 25,000 elk tags that just became available on the 14th. Buy a spike or any bull tag and hit the hills.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Well, look on the bright side. Assuming the applications were properly done, you now have 2 antlerless elk points in your pocket for next year. You can draw some real nice antlerless hunts with 2 points. You have a year to study it out too and figure out what you want.

While I'm no Stephen hawking
Does Steven Hawking hunt? Why do I find that an odd visual? -Ov-

1 - 20 of 45 Posts