Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have heard from a couple of people that white bass don't put up much of fight and that their growth potential is rather limited. I don't know if this is true or not. I have never fished for them.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Catching white bass through the ice in Utah Lake don't have much of a chance to fight. Maybe a little but they're only in 6 feet of water. They do have pretty limited growth, like perch or bluegill they don't get very big, but in the open water they put up a pretty good fight I think.

And yeah nibble, the ones I caught were white bass but the guys on the other dock were hammering the gills and the white bass just before sunset.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
It's possible for white bass to get "large"...not probable. The state record is over 4lbs, but seeing a white that big would be pretty lucky. My biggest is about 14inches long and it fought about as hard as a brown trout of the same size, IMO.

They thrash around a lot and are pretty feisty, but they really don't pull very hard compared to other bass. They're great fun if your intention is only to catch and release some fish. I probably won't try eating them again.

I've never caught one in the cold seasons, but I would imagine they give up faster in the cold water.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw a kid pull a white out of Bountiful Pond a couple years back that was 16" and easily surpassed the state record. I told him to take it in, but he said he just wanted to take it home to eat. Too bad, whites dont taste all that great IMO. I think they put up a decent fight, much like a bluegill.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Jigz said:
I saw a kid pull a white out of Bountiful Pond a couple years back that was 16" and easily surpassed the state record. I told him to take it in, but he said he just wanted to take it home to eat. Too bad, whites dont taste all that great IMO. I think they put up a decent fight, much like a bluegill.
That's a big white bass

·
Registered
472 Posts
A 16" white bass will never weigh 4lbs, they don't get the shoulders and girth that other bass species have. In fact alot of the longer whites I have caught end up being skinny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts