Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum, now looking for any honey holes or anything like that, just for some draw advice.

I'm a bowhunter so not interested in any of the Muzzy or rifle hunts.

Spent a couple summers after high school on the Boulder unit so I am somewhat familiar with the southern end of the unit, but I am getting impatient and am itching for a Utah Bull tag.

Been considering the Plateau Fishlake/thousand lakes unit just based on past odds for the archery hunt. But have no clue what the unit looks like and I am not one of those guys that puts in for a unit without any idea of where to go or what it even looks like.

I'm likely to sit out this years draw and accumulate another point till I can get a better idea of where to cash in my points and get my boots on the ground in the unit doing some scouting.

Thanks for any help and ideas on this guys, I love the people of Utah the time spent there were two of the best summers of my life. Thank you guys and gals.

Drew

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hey, Drew, welcome aboard.

I wouldn't be too excited about drawing anything right away as a non-resident with 7 points...
You mentioned the Boulder and Fishlake units... based on last years applicant pool you're in the neighborhood of 72 to 91 years away on the Boulder to a guaranteed tag and 11 to 13 years away on the Fishlake.

The Wasatch (1 to 3 years), Pausaugunt (2 to 5 years), Cache South (1 to 3 years), Central Mountains Manti (4 to 7) are units that you could expect to draw within the next 5 years or so.

Half the tags go to the applicants with the most points & half go in a lottery... so there's always a chance (insert your favorite Dumb & Dumber meme here).

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Wow. I had no idea the nonres odds were so steep.
And they are nowhere near as predictable....

Consider this, in 2015 a specific elk unit had 12 applicants for two tags. In 2016 that same unit had 34 applicants again for two tags. It went from 1.85% per point down to 0.6% per point just in one year.

Some of the more popular units stay pretty consistent but others can change pretty dramatically from year to year especially if very few tags are offered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
::puke::: lol

That's a total buzzkill I thought my odds for the lakes was much better.

Since I know it I will probably just stay the course with the Aquarius and pray.

Not a guy who needs a 380+, just looking for a great adventure with a chance to hunt a good bull.

I'm 27 so I'm still young and have some time to make it happen, Idaho and Colorado till then!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts