Utah Wildlife Forum banner

What are your thoughts on Utah on the Fly?

• It is great learn lots there and people are nice

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most are critical of everything or anyone who writes something. I submitted a story or thread about bears. My responce was about about a trip in Idaho that had to do with bears and simple mentioned the number of fish caught and it was one of the most exciting trips of my life. Someone wrote back about hotspotting "his favorite spot". 9 miles from the end of the road, had to take horses in and he was affraid the entire state of Utah was going to his "favorite river". Said he was going to get his AK47 and come after me. Many of the threads are rediculous and way off from fishing. The make fun of others and others opinions. There are some on there that are great guys. I see the same name on this site and they are always positive and professional. I have gotten help from some on the site as well as here. Many times I have felt they were childish and snobbish. But I have found when serious important information is shared I have benefited. I have met some great guys on that site.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I used to visit that site under the handle of fishynsmelly. I will still browse it from time to time, but I don't contribute to it anymore. To each their own I guess. The reason I left, is that it just doesn't fit my personality. Most of the dudes on there have been fly fishing for ever and are in a different place than I am when it comes to fly fishing. I personally never really connected with that community. More of an issue with me than with them.

I did get a lot of usefull flyfishing and fly tying info from there though.

I do find the majority of the community to be rather brash and fast to judge others. It is the rudest forum I have ever been part of. You definetly have to earn your stripes there.

This site fits me much better. This community is much more laid back, and it is more willing to help others and share information unlike UOTF. UOTF could be so much more if it wanted to be, it is holding itself back by being the way it is.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
No one at "Utah on the Fly" is on my Christmas card list.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I have been a regular over there for a long time...it has been a good site, but lately the topics are getting old. It seems like about everything has been hashed and rehashed so much that the long time posters have tired of it.

For the most part, I think the guys over there are decent and knowledgeable. I think they can be arrogant, are unafraid to voice opinions, and are often blunt...but these things aren't always bad.

If you post on UTOF, don't do it expecting a bunch of back slapping...

FWIW, none of the poll areas fit my feeling of the site and, quite frankly, I thought the question/answer options were steered toward the negative side. In truth, I think the poll will not be very informative because it doesn't allow for people like me to answer it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Got to go with WY2 on this one. There are some people with some very good knowledge and years ago it was a very good site. But things are just being hashed over again and again and some of the guys can be pretty arrogant , depending on thier day. Sometimes some people post some pretty foolish stuff also and are like bait. There is a clique over there as there are on any sites.

·
Registered
629 Posts
UOTF is the first fishing site I started posting on and I have met some great people from there. I have no idea where I would be with this whole fly fishing thing if it wasn't for that site. I am a contributor and consider it my home fishing site. I didn't vote in your poll since I also didn't really see a choice that described what the site is to me. The a**hole reputation of the site seems to come mostly from guys who sign up on the site and start tooting their own horn like they are the greatest fisherman to walk the earth. Start throwing out numbers caught, lesser known waters, and self-promoting talk and you will get roasted without mercy. Approach the site with a bit of humility and a good sense of humor and you may find that it is a great recource and quite entertaining. There are some very knowledgeable anglers on the site-- too many to list.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think there are a lot of great guys over there. As you have seen, I'm pretty much a regular over there. I have met a lot of great guys over there that i have had the chance to fish and tie with for a number of years. I think PBH hit it on the head. If you post over there, you need to be prepared to get some type of ribbing, and thick skin is a must over there. I'd have to say that most of my posts over there are of the smart alec nature, but that's just how UOTF is. There is a reason that I post on a few forums such as this one.

Orvis, I thought your poll didn't give enough options. My choice would be - "A site where I can be entertained and occasionally read a good topic about fishing.";)

·
Registered
629 Posts
cheech said:
Orvis, I thought your poll didn't give enough options. My choice would be - "A site where I can be entertained and occasionally read a good topic about fishing.";)
Make that 2 votes. The archives contain good poop too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
When they first started the site it was a great place to post and meet new people and I posted a ton and fished with many including going to a few gatherings, now most of the are ROYAL JERKS and I wouldn't spend a minute with some of them.

The site went downhill fast :evil:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yes-there needed to be more options on the poll. And the archives are very good. You can't be a new guy though an just start posting. You had better read a bit and know where most of them are coming from. The site is kind of like stress- to have stress you have to care and I don't give crap.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Packfish said:
Yes-there needed to be more options on the poll. And the archives are very good. You can't be a new guy though an just start posting. You had better read a bit and know where most of them are coming from. The site is kind of like stress- to have stress you have to care and I don't give crap.
Why not? Every other forum am I part of I could. Why do you have to be a supposed expert to post there? That is exactly why that site has gotten stale. No one new wants to put them selves in the line of fire. The community will not grow if people are afraid to post. The same members post the same crap over and over and over again because there isn't ever anyone new there. It's ridiculous. Why would they discourage new members like that?

I just don't buy peoples excuses of having to have 'thick skin' and a 'sense of humor' to post there. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... well it's a duck. A lot of people over there are just not nice. And that hurts the sites community.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The sites community is a tight small community. Just a different site. It's already been said that there are some very knowledgable guys over there and the archives are very valuable.
There are some guys that know very little but fit into the clique. So ? I frequent some sporting goods only when I want to- no different with web sites.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I have also been a member for a long time but don't post anymore.
I didn't like the way they bash other sites and their good old boys attitude.
As already mentioned, you have to work your way into their good graces and I just don't need that!
There is good information to be gained there, they are just too picky about who they will share it with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess in order to evaluate the site fairly I have to look at one thing. Did I get what I wanted from UOTF. I saught information that would increase my knowledge of flyfishing and tying. I get that. I guess I must apologize for my "selffish attitude" of expecting something other than was there in the response to posts etc. So bottom line, there are very knowledgable individuals there. Many have helped me open new ideas and try new methods. Particularly to tying. To that I am grateful. Even found a great rod builder.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are idiots everywhere you go. There are also almost always nice people everywhere you go.

I go to UOTF quite a bit. I have recieved a lot of help from guys on that site in the past.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts