Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only a day and a half before Utah plays the Harbaughs of Michigan. Can't wait!

I see Utah dominating defensively in a 27-10 win to open things up. Optimistically awaiting what I hope to be a better and more effecient offense to support one of the best defenses in CFB and maybe the best special teams in CFB.

Not a big WHY fan, but I think they'll come out on top at Nebraska as well.

Should be a good weekend for in-state football.

Go Utes!!!

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
True BYU Blue here. But this week, I say Go Utes!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I am not sure either of our two premier Utah teams will come out on top this weekend. Utah will win if the QB gets his head out of his ego and plays, if he doesn't then it's going to be an ugly loss. Now my beloved Tigers will win easily since they play a 4A high school team but that is going to be followed by two straight losses. Maybe they will fire Les Miles after this season and get a coach with an IQ higher than 7.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Didn't Miles coach them to a national title a couple years ago?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you LL except I think that Michigan has a worse QB problem than Utah. If Utah loses, and yeah I think they could, it'll take an epic letdown from overhype of themselves though it seems that nobody has given them any attention in this game. Wilson, for all of his struggles continues to win that job. I personally think he'll have the best year of his career. It doesn't hurt to have Booker there with him.

I just don't see Michigan scoring much more than 10 points starting many drives deep in their own territory. I also believe elevation will play a role.

Hope both teams come out on top. Utah State is playing an actual cupcake so no cares there!

·
1,666 Posts
Of the big 3, I only think Utah State is the only school that is a for sure win.

I have heard a lot of people are stating that Utah will doormat Michigan, which is not a good position to be in. The point spread is only Utah -5 at home. So, I expect it to come down to the wire.

I think this is a game that BYU will win also even though Nebraska is favored by a touchdown. Be prepared for the national title talk afterwards. As an aggie alumni I hope that BYU goes undefeated until they play Utah State and Utah State gives them their first loss as they did as 21 point underdogs last year.

2014 USU 35 @ #18 BYU 20 #NeverForget

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I hope Utah wins, so that When Utah State crushes them following week it will look better. ;-);-);-)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Of the big 3, I only think Utah State is the only school that is a for sure win.

I have heard a lot of people are stating that Utah will doormat Michigan, which is not a good position to be in. The point spread is only Utah -5 at home. So, I expect it to come down to the wire.

I think this is a game that BYU will win also even though Nebraska is favored by a touchdown. Be prepared for the national title talk afterwards. As an aggie alumni I hope that BYU goes undefeated until they play Utah State and Utah State gives them their first loss as they did as 21 point underdogs last year.

2014 USU 35 @ #18 BYU 20 #NeverForget
If USU doesn't walk into a win and pull their starters out in the 3rd quarter, I'll be very surprised.

Now that I'm out of Utah and don't have to listen to as many obnoxious Ute fans (most of the Ute fans I still have contract with are die hard but not obnoxious), I hope they do well and pound Michigan.

BYU will do well this year if their current personnel stay healthy and IF the RBs can step up and take some pressure off Hill. Any national title talk even IF BYU dominates this season would be pipe dreams. Just look at how they did TCU last year.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't pay much attention to the lines on some of these games. I am pretty sure Utah was a 3 or 4 point dog last year and beat UM by 16 at Michigan. Yeah I know, different year / game. Michigan didn't score an offensive TD last year. I think the odds makers had Utah a 6-7 point favorite against Arizona last year and Utah got pounded.

As for annoying Ute fans. This cracks me up... I don't care what fan base your talking about, theres going to be annoying fans. I get tired of fans that seem to hammer home the Pac 12 affiliation. I love having my team in this conference, but it's not the focus for me and most that I know. After BYU beats Nebraska, there will be talks of the playoffs. There is already talk of Utah State playing in a New Years 6 and they haven't even played a game.

Utah State will provide a decent test for Utah, but Utah won't take them litely. Time will tell and I won't be predicting a "pounding" before Utah takes on Michigan. Personally, I think taking on a "high school" team if you will in your first game doesn't do much for you. I know Utah's done it in the past and it seems it takes two games to really get going.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Didn't Miles coach them to a national title a couple years ago?
Miles won in 2007 but that was with Nick Saban's team he left of seniors. When we played Bama in 2011 we ended up being embarrassed royally in the NC game. The team quit on Miles for that game because Miles refused to play the better QB due to a spat with him. Several starters stood up for the QB and Miles benched them too...pretty stupid since the QB that Miles stood up for has never played a down in the NFL and has been in jail several times since then.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
The beauty of the week of the first game - EVERY team is undefeated, and EVERY team has a shot!

Living in Idaho now, the only sports radio I get is the national ESPN feed. And the talk there about the Utah game - is the debut of Harbagh - which happens to be against the Utes. But little to no love for the Utes, except from Ian Fitzsimmons, who used to be in the SLC market.

·
1,666 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the lines on some of these games. I am pretty sure Utah was a 3 or 4 point dog last year and beat UM by 16 at Michigan. Yeah I know, different year / game. Michigan didn't score an offensive TD last year. I think the odds makers had Utah a 6-7 point favorite against Arizona last year and Utah got pounded.

As for annoying Ute fans. This cracks me up... I don't care what fan base your talking about, theres going to be annoying fans. I get tired of fans that seem to hammer home the Pac 12 affiliation. I love having my team in this conference, but it's not the focus for me and most that I know. After BYU beats Nebraska, there will be talks of the playoffs. There is already talk of Utah State playing in a New Years 6 and they haven't even played a game.

Utah State will provide a decent test for Utah, but Utah won't take them litely. Time will tell and I won't be predicting a "pounding" before Utah takes on Michigan. Personally, I think taking on a "high school" team if you will in your first game doesn't do much for you. I know Utah's done it in the past and it seems it takes two games to really get going.
I hope USU does, but I doubt it.

They have a pretty tough road.

vs Southern Utah (Easy Win)

@ Utah (This will be interesting, but very tough the Utes are supposed to be real good)

@ Washington (Loud Stadium)

vs Colorado State (Probably has the best WR in the country)

@Fresno State (underrated home field advantage)

vs Boise State (They beat the hell out of USU, usually)

@ San Diego State (Likely win)

vs Wyoming (They can score, but don't fair well against USU)

@ New Mexico (Win)

@ Air Force (Always tough)

vs Nevada (Game after Air Force / Navy is always a struggle)

vs BYU (This will be a blood brawl this year, after last year)

USU could likely go 1-5 to start the season, but if they go 6-0 all aboard the USU hype train.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think USU likely stats 4-2 maybe 5-1. Obviously I am a fan of Utah and I think Utah beats them. I like USU at Washington early on and Boise is replacing a bunch of players. USU has a great home field. Fresno can be decent at home, but they didn't return many from last years team that was aweful. I guess that could be a good thing considering how bad they were.

Good luck to the Aggies. I'll be watching them closely as the year goes on. If Utah beats them, it bodes well for Utah as long as Utah keeps winning.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
For some reason ( and I am a Michigan fan) they have given them a lot more credit than they deserve in the last few years. If the Utes don't put a whoopin on them at home something is wrong. LSU is going to be a lot better than you think this year- USU I hope they are winning big at 1/2 so I can go home and watch the 2nd 1/2 of the Michigan game.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Whew, that was exciting and as usual, the Utes made it interesting. The fighting Harbaughs didn't quit either. Good win for us, even though there were some warts. (Whats the deal with Phillips?)

Also, WT* is going on with the Aggies tonight? 12-9 as I type this.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I thought Utah played pretty well considering the stage they were on tonight and being the first game of the year. Michigan is improved. They have some obvious things to clean up with the coverage on defense. A couple bad mental mistakes by Gianni and old Andy was not so automatic!

Not only 12-9, but the game winner was an 88 yard punt return for a TD. Seems Keaton is just not the same guy. Mistake letting Garrettson get away I think. Utah should handle them next week but you never know!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Well as they say, an ugly win is better than a pretty loss. Color the Utes lucky. The offense was way to inconsistent and the Michigan QB couldn't hit wide open receivers for TD's. Mucho room for improvement on both sides of the ball for the Utes. Secondary let too many guys get open deep and that will come back to haunt them if they don't fix that problem ASAP. Offense...we don't need no steenkin offense...sheesh

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts

But, on another note, it is FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

And that is a beautiful thing.

Attachments

Reactions: hunting777

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
became an AG in 1972------ last night was the most embarrassed I have ever been.
Ditto, I had much higher hopes for them last night, some consider SUU a glorified community college for crying out loud.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts