Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the outcomes this week? I don't want to be overconfident in Utah over USU, but USU looked terrible against SUU. I think USU is much better than that.... I think! Still, Utah should have no trouble with USU. I think USU has a tough time with Utah's rushing attack and may fail to score another offensive touchdown. Utah should handle the Aggies. But, it's a rivalry...

As for byu, Boise St is getting them at a good time. After coming off an emotional win like they did, losing Hill, and having absolutely no rushing attack, Boise may come away with a W here. Tanner Mangum looked decent no doubt, but teams will scheme him now. I expect Mangum will have some growing pains over the next few weeks. He may have a higher pitch count than some major league pitchers if they can't develop some resemblance of a running game. I think Boise wins a lower scoring game for these two.

This is the BEST time of year! Hunting and football...

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I think that the U will win and so will BYU. While I was pulling for BSU I don't think Washington played a good game or is as strong a team as BYU early on in the season. I do however expect it to be a very competitive game. If USU stinks it up like they did this past weekend it will be a blowout.

Reactions: GaryFish

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Utah State is in Trouble against Utah. Won't be close. Utah looked FAR better against a much better opponent in week 1. Utah by 3? 4? touchdowns?

As for Boise State at BYU - Home field is everything to BSU, and the game is in Provo. The loss of Hill is big - but Mangum is no slouch. Sure, the hail mary, as all hail mary passes at the end of the game, was a fluke. But exciting enough to unify a team behind a freshman. Mangum is a top recruit though. Before his mission, he was co-MVP of that fancy dancy QB camp - with Jameis Winston. The kid has serious talent. And for added intrigue, he is from Boise. Hmmmm. But BSU is on the road, and doesn't have the emotion of facing their former coach that dumped them for U-Dub. BYU by a score.

Reactions: LostLouisianian

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
To answer the question, Utah wins over the Aggies in a 7-10 point game. USU's offense won't be able to score effectively, but the AG's D will keep it respectable. Boise will win by about 3 points. If the cougs had Taysom, they would have beaten Boise,........but they don't. That reality will now set in for the cougs.

Speaking of which, what are you cougarfans emotions right now after Saturdays game? Awesome and thrilling win for you guys, but man, what a stomach punch afterwards to lose Taysom in the first game like that?

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Exactly right Catherder. Losing Hill is a HUGE deal. If Williams were playing this year at RB, it would be different because he could pick up slack in the running game. That'll be tough. But Mangum is a seriously talented kid and I think will perform really well. Not the dual threat, but under Anea, BYU has done better with drop back guys than with runners. Max Hall produced far more wins than Nelson or Hill have under Anea. I think Mangum can do that.

Now all that said, my expectations for BYU are quite different than some Cougar Fans. I don't see them competing for a title, and even in a conference, a team has to win their conference title game for a shot at the play-off (just ask Baylor and TCU). When you accept that, then the expectation is for a competitive team, that wins more than it loses, and plays a variety of opponents all around the country. So they'll deliver that.

The end of the Nebraska game was a GREAT moment and one that will be put in all the program highlight reels going forward. And it should. But like Detmer's win over Miami 25 years ago is well remembered, the loss at Oregon two weeks later is much forgotten. But for now, BYU is 1-0, after beating a team that only scheduled them because they thought they would beat them. And that is a sweet thing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As a die hard Aggie fan I would like to see my Aggies beat Utah, but don't see it as a reality. However, I do think the Aggies Defense is stout, and will not allow Utah to score as much as many think. I'm guessing that Utah Wins by two touch downs, and our offense doesn't score a touchdown. We will get a few field goals though as a result of the Defense giving us good field position.

I believe that BYU will loose. Sure, Mangum threw a great touchdown pass, but he was just lobbing the ball up there and his receivers were making plays on the balls. Mangum will throw at least 3 interceptions in the Boise State game, and the turn overs will make the difference. I say Boise by 7.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My expectations mirror Gary's. I don't expect BYU to ever make the playoffs, but, selfishly, I'm glad that I get to see a lot of their games and even get to go to some when they come to the Southeast.

losing Taysom is indeed a huge blow to the BYU offense, but I liked what I saw with Mangum. When he came in for those three plays in the second quarter and permanently in the fourth, he did NOT look like a freshman. No real nervousness or jitters that were readily apparent and it looked like he commanded the offense well.

To add another concern, I'm not sure how much of the success in Nebraska's second half run game can be attributed to adjustments and how much is because Tuiloma was out of the game at nose guard. Seemed like he had the middle shut down and when he went out of the game Nebraska's run really opened up.

·
1,687 Posts
I think week one allows fans to be over-reactive.

I remember last year, when the 2-2 Aggies were three touchdown underdogs to #18 Undefeated BYU...and won 35-20.

Homer Pick: USU 17 @ Utah 14

Real Pick USU 21 @ Utah 24

I pick BYU to lose every game, so I guess I have to root for BSU (Even though Ada County has the worst drivers in the nation)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Don't you just LOVE college football? :)
I love college football, it is so much more interesting / exciting to watch than the NFL.

For my Picks:

I love the Aggies, but I don't think week is going to be pretty. I See the Aggies defense holding up strong, but they are going to wear down due to the offense not doing anything. I hope the Aggies have worked out their O line issues. I think that if they tried a different QB would help as well. I see the score to be around 34-13 for the Utes, but I would love nothing more to be wrong. GO AGGIES!!!!!

For the BYU game I can see it being a close game again. I really think that the Cougars are going to pull off another win.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
One thing is certain, if the cougs win this weekend their fans will be talking national championship playoffs again....seems to work that way every season....LOL
I really hope not. Even if they go undefeated, and win every game soundly, they will not be in the play-off. Just not going to happen. A second SEC team will get in before a non P5 team gets in. With 4 of the P5 conferences having conference championship games, that really is the first round of the play-off. And the Big-12 needs to realize that. Even so, a Big 12 conference champ will be in before an undefeated BYU team. Much as I LOVE my Cougars, as a college football fan, ONLY the champs of the four main conferences should be in the play-off. Period. But what do I know? Don't answer that. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think week one allows fans to be over-reactive.

I remember last year, when the 2-2 Aggies were three touchdown underdogs to #18 Undefeated BYU...and won 35-20.

Homer Pick: USU 17 @ Utah 14

Real Pick USU 21 @ Utah 24

I pick BYU to lose every game, so I guess I have to root for BSU (Even though Ada County has the worst drivers in the nation)
I think if the Utah / USU game stays this close, it's because of turnovers by Utah. I honestly don't see any circumstance that USU finds 21 points unless their defense scores a couple times.

This is not to say that the real Chuckie Keeton stands up and show's Utah who he has been. But I have the score more on the lines of 31-10, and thats a Real Homer pick. If USU can't move the ball like against SUU, the score could really get a lot worse as their defense wears out (Utah / BYU 2011). Time will tell!

I don't think Boise is as good as they were last year, but they can play some ball up there. It doesn't matter where they play with those guys. It's the perfect week to play BYU coming off an emotional win in the way they won. I got Boise in this one 24-17.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
One thing is certain, if the cougs win this weekend their fans will be talking national championship playoffs again....seems to work that way every season....LOL
Only the obnoxious fans.

For BYU to have even a glimmer of a chance at the playoffs, they'd have to have beaten Nebraska by a good margin and blow out every team they play from here on. AND the more respected programs on their schedule would have to prove to be good this year.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
What makes this even worse is I went to USU and my niece goes to SUU...-O,-
If you think that's bad, our whole family went to LSU including dad. My oldest brother's daughter did as well and then she up and married some jackwagon that went to Ala-frickin-BAMA. I didn't attend the wedding. He is not welcomed during football season unless he is rooting for LSU. Needless to say he won't be around my brothers home during the LSU Bama game. He is from Louisiana but attended bama on a baseball scholarship since he wasn't anywhere near being good enough to make the LSU baseball team. He had to agree before the wedding that the kids would not attend bama but would attend LSU.

Reactions: GaryFish

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's going to be the case for at least some fans of any team who starts off 2-0 against quality opponents. I'm a BYU fan and I can say for sure that even if they kill Boise (not that I'm expecting that), I won't be "talking national championship playoffs".

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
You can bet on this. Sports talk radio will be insufferably lit up with this chatter.

Now, I can't believe I'm saying this, being a proud Utefan and all, but now I'm going to disagree with you guys a bit. If the cougs were to truly go undefeated, I think they would indeed get consideration for the playoffs. They would have beaten a top Pac 12 contender(UCLA), a solid SEC divisional contender in Missouri, one of, if not the best "group of 5" school in Boise, 2 middling big 10 teams, (Nebraska and Michigan, and a couple more teams like Cincinnati and Utah State, that aren't really chopped liver either. Of course it all would depend on how many losses the other power 5 champions have and other factors, but you better believe they would be in the conversation.

Now, do I believe they have any shot in the world at pulling it off, especially with Taysom out? Heck no.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You can bet on this. Sports talk radio will be insufferably lit up with this chatter.

Now, I can't believe I'm saying this, being a proud Utefan and all, but now I'm going to disagree with you guys a bit. If the cougs were to truly go undefeated, I think they would indeed get consideration for the playoffs. They would have beaten a top Pac 12 contender(UCLA), a solid SEC divisional contender in Missouri, one of, if not the best "group of 5" school in Boise, 2 middling big 10 teams, (Nebraska and Michigan, and a couple more teams like Cincinnati and Utah State, that aren't really chopped liver either. Of course it all would depend on how many losses the other power 5 champions have and other factors, but you better believe they would be in the conversation.

Now, do I believe they have any shot in the world at pulling it off, especially with Taysom out? Heck no.
BYU has a good schedule for sure. So, IF BYU could go undefeated, you're right that they'd be in the conversation. But that doesn't mean they would get a chance. Again look at TCU last year. For BYU to have a chance this year they'd have to go CONVINCINGLY undefeated AND there would have to be multiple screw ups in at least 2 of the three P5 conferences. IMO

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.