Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Actually really pisses me off. Blatantly disrespectful for a great Utah team that was tied for the south to take the lowly Vegas bowl. Washington St must have deep pockets!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2full

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Lowly Vegas Bowl?? Seems about right for a team on a 3 game losing streak is it?

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Who has a 3 game losing streak?

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Hardly a great Utah team IMO. Love em but there is no debating that as a team their QB and WR's are subpar at best. As much as I love Wilson as a kid he stinks as a passer and QB for the PAC-12. I think he is 10th in passer rating. After 12 games this year the proof is in the pudding. Wilson is not good or even average.

Great Defense. Great Special Teams. Real Good Running game with a hurt rb. The backup filled in well against a porous Colorado team that stinks.

This bowl is a big let down to Ute fans, such as myself, but to be honest the Utes had it in their control to get to a better bowl and simply blew it. Still a good season but they lost one too many games.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Utes don't deserve a better bowl than this in my opinion (and obviously in other peoples' opinions too). I agree that Wilson is horrible... can't stand watching him play.

It should be a good game. My biggest complaint about Mendenhall is how he's been so bad at getting the team motivated for games like this. Now that he's leaving BYU and doesn't have to worry about repercussions, maybe he'll throw his reverence (for lack of better words) aside and actually get the team motivated for once. None of this "this is just another game" crap.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hardly a great Utah team IMO. Love em but there is no debating that as a team their QB and WR's are subpar at best. As much as I love Wilson as a kid he stinks as a passer and QB for the PAC-12. I think he is 10th in passer rating. After 12 games this year the proof is in the pudding. Wilson is not good or even average.

Great Defense. Great Special Teams. Real Good Running game with a hurt rb. The backup filled in well against a porous Colorado team that stinks.

This bowl is a big let down to Ute fans, such as myself, but to be honest the Utes had it in their control to get to a better bowl and simply blew it. Still a good season but they lost one too many games.
Wilson has been bad in the throwing game for sure. I am not sure if the receivers are as bad as they look because Wilson can't get them the ball. I think one of the reasons Utah is in Vegas, and not in the Sun Bowl is because they aren't all that exciting to watch. Wazzu got pasted in the Apple Cup against a Washington team Utah beat in Seattle. But Wazzu can be pretty exciting at times offensively... Course, Utah was about the same last year offensively, and had quite the game plan against CSU who I'd consider equal to BYU. At least the CSU of last year.

That said, I do believe that as long as Wilson doesn't turn over the ball, Utah wins this game. BYU is 1-3 this year against P5 opponents with the one win coming on a hail mary pass. I believe Utah beats UCLA if Booker played and they weren't having a hangover from the Arizona game.

Personally, after Nick Emery's suckerpunch on Brandon Taylor, I really didn't care to see another rivalry game. Hope the Utah players watch their backs.... or their middle sections!

Go Utes

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
A couple of thoughts.

1. As a Ute fan, I was bummed initially about where they ended up and had/have decidedly mixed feelings about the opponent. However, when you think about it, it shouldn't really be a surprise, nor should Utefans feel it is a slap in the face. Once you are past the two playoff games, and maybe to a lesser extent, the "Big 5 or 6" New Years day games, all of the game assignments for the rest of the (excessive number of) Bowl games are driven by money. Money and TV ratings sure as heck called for UCLA to stay home and play the Foster Farms bowl. It also is undoubtedly a driver in having Utah and the TDS play in the Vegas bowl. A sold out stadium, notable regional interest, and a true rivalry game that will not be low on passion. These are things that are missing in about 80% of the "rest" of the low to mid tier bowls. For instance, who really give a crap how UCLA does against a Nebraska team with a losing record? The same can be said for most of the rest. Upon reflection, the Utes assignment to Vegas is neither an insult to the Utes, nor a reason for cougarfans to razz the Utes about still being irrelevant.

Personally, after Nick Emery's suckerpunch on Brandon Taylor, I really didn't care to see another rivalry game. Hope the Utah players watch their backs.... or their middle sections!

Go Utes
Word! I was out of state on business for most of this week and was stunned by how badly this incident made BYU (and the LDS church) look in national opinion. It also is sickening to read the comment section on the paper and see how many cougarfan zealots want to excuse, justify, or rationalize the action. I never thought I would see the day when "TDS" meant "thugs down South".

·
1,666 Posts
Actually really pisses me off. Blatantly disrespectful for a great Utah team that was tied for the south to take the lowly Vegas bowl. Washington St must have deep pockets!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are going to the Sun Bowl in El Paso, that is definitely not an upgrade.

If I had a choice between Vegas and El Paso, I think I would select Vegas every time.

I think the funniest bowl is the Arizona bowl where MWC Nevada takes on MWC Colorado State.

Oh, and Utah State in the Potato Bowl.

I'm still waiting for the Frozen Bowl to be played in North Dakota or Barrow Alaska, maybe next year.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am not the world's sharpest critic of the game of football, but here's what I think.

Utah is a very good team, not a great team, though they did show flashes of greatness at times. Wilson's not a bad quarterback, maybe not one of the first rank, but not bad, or perhaps even bordering on pretty good. His threat as a runner partially made up for a somewhat less than stellar passing record.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Well statistically he was 10th of 12 starters in the PAC-12. Factor in running, which is what the QBR does and he is 9th of 12. His passing was not just less than stellar. It was just barely better than the two worst passing QB's of the conference. I have met Travis and love him to death as a person. He is truly a great kid that works very hard for his team and he is everything you want in a team mate, a role model and a QB.........other than the fact that he stinks.

If the Utes had a better QB they would have been in the Championship and quite possibly playing in the Rose Bowl this year. Instead they get to play at Sam Boyd Stadium and play BYU for 2 of the next 3 games.

I think I am going to go drink some grapefruit juice now and chase it with milk.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Well, I'd agree with the thought that the match up is at least more interesting than 80% of the other 40 bowl games.

Both schools have had several injuries through the year, so with a couple of weeks off to heal, it is hard to see who will be playing for both teams. I think BYU certainly has more motivation for it. I think Bronco would REALLY like to go out with a win over Utah - the thing that has alluded him for a while. Plus, he is sitting on 99 wins with BYU - and that 100 would be a real nice number.

Utah I see as a team deflated from climbing as high as #3, and thinking that they could get to the CFP, and then realizing they are viewed as the 6th place team in a 12 team conference after 3 tough losses. So the rivalry is about the only motivation the Utes would have in a bowl game. And really, much as I hate Vegas, it is certainly better than El Paso. EVERY city in America, is better than a trip to El Paso. As for any suggestion that Utah is too good for the Vegas Bowl - Considering they've only had what, one bowl game in the last four years, I'd suggest that a winning record and a bowl game are good things, even if the lowly Vegas Bowl. It sure beats sitting home as in recent years.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I recommend both teams go gambling and get so fall down drunk that they both can blame the loss on a hangover... :p

Reactions: GaryFish

·
1,666 Posts
Wilson has been bad in the throwing game for sure. I am not sure if the receivers are as bad as they look because Wilson can't get them the ball. I think one of the reasons Utah is in Vegas, and not in the Sun Bowl is because they aren't all that exciting to watch. Wazzu got pasted in the Apple Cup against a Washington team Utah beat in Seattle. But Wazzu can be pretty exciting at times offensively... Course, Utah was about the same last year offensively, and had quite the game plan against CSU who I'd consider equal to BYU. At least the CSU of last year.

That said, I do believe that as long as Wilson doesn't turn over the ball, Utah wins this game. BYU is 1-3 this year against P5 opponents with the one win coming on a hail mary pass. I believe Utah beats UCLA if Booker played and they weren't having a hangover from the Arizona game.

Go Utes
A Washington State team that beat UCLA and Arizona, which the Utes lost to. The Pac 12 was whacky this year. I mean Washington did beat USC in California. Utah thumped Oregon and Oregon finished the season 6-0 including a win at Stanford. The Pac 12 sent 10 of 12 teams bowling.

Sugar, Fiesta, Rose, Citrus are the only bowls out of the playoff that really would be an upgrade from the Vegas Bowl. Stanford won the Pac 12, so they go to the Rose. No other Pac 12 team was selected in the other bowls, if there was another Pac 12 team it would have probably been Oregon. The Utes stumbled at the end of the season and there record is what it is. The rest of the bowls are about having one team close enough to draw fans with an interesting match-up, with a few exceptions.

I think it is kind of funny how smug Ute fans can be. They don't want to play Utah State or BYU, because they are in the Pac 12 and that magically makes them better than everyone else. To me, it is the rivalries that make college football. It is fun to watch Utah vs BYU, Utah vs Utah State, and Utah State vs BYU. These games are great, because it creates animosity between families and fans.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
And I think you nailed it there Critter. The Bowls make money on the TV deals, which is why there are so many bowl games playing in empty stadiums. Ticket sales are the icing to the cake of profitability. And the Las Vegas Bowl is no dummy. A BYU-Utah match up is a guaranteed sell out for sure. No other opponent for either team would generate as much interest.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Injuries killed the Utes. But, that is part of the game
It killed several good teams seasons. Ask Baylor.

And, you hit the nail perfect MuscleWhitefish, the Pac-12 beat the crap out of each other all year.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Injuries killed the Utes. But, that is part of the game
It killed several good teams seasons. Ask Baylor.
And I think that right there is what separates the consistent national championship contenders from the other teams. I think that Utah, and BYU for that matter, can compete pretty much with most (though not all) teams in the country with their first string. But if they lose even 1-2 first team players, they are done. When you can go into the Big 10 championship game with your 3rd string QB like Ohio State did last year - then you have depth that separates you from the pack. But there are only a hand full of schools where the top talent will take the 2nd string position and not transfer for more playing time somewhere else. Those are the teams that compete year after year. And the rest are just out there for entertainment purposes.

The injury thing is also why I think this BYU-Utah game is tough to call right now. I think Utah's 1st team would beat BYU's this year, but without Booker, they are not the same team. Same goes with BYU not having a feature back, or a QB that can run. BYU's offense is the old Norm Chow pass or run a draw-trap offense that was so great for a long time, but very predictable.

But I must say as a Loyal Strong and True Cougar Fan - I'm more interested in the bowl game against Utah than really, any other opponent from the 12 Pack. The only other team I'd like to see BYU play would be a rematch against UCLA. That game was close, fun to watch, and pretty evenly matched. I'd like to see them play again on a neutral field, with a season of experience for both teams' freshmen QBs. But as it stands, I think the game will be a compelling game with two fairly evenly matched teams.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I think both teams deserved where they ended up at. Now we will see who the better coach is at actually motivating a team that has little motivation right now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think both teams deserved where they ended up at. Now we will see who the better coach is at actually motivating a team that has little motivation right now.
If it comes down to strictly which team is more motivated, unless Bronco is out of character, I will give Whittingham and the Utes the nod every time. Inability to motivate the team for the big games is my biggest complaint about Mendenhall.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts