Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the pheasant hunt this last weekend, I ended up jumping several whitetail does and a nice little buck. I didn't have enough time to count how big he was. I've seen them twice now this weekend in the same spot. I'm hoping they are there next year for the deer hunt! From what I've read it is legal to kill them as the state just says deer permit it doesn't specify which type correct?

·
Registered
67 Posts
During the pheasant hunt this last weekend, I ended up jumping several whitetail does and a nice little buck. I didn't have enough time to count how big he was. I've seen them twice now this weekend in the same spot. I'm hoping they are there next year for the deer hunt! From what I've read it is legal to kill them as the state just says deer permit it doesn't specify which type correct?
your right on that it states (one buck deer...) happy hunting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The little experience I have with Whitetails is that most don't travel very far. If they are largely left alone they will more than likely be there next year. There was a decent buck shot in Cache county a few years back. And yes, all it says is "General Buck Deer"
Hope you get him next year!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks! I'm excited I'm going to keep an eye on them throughout the year and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Give the DWR 4 years and we will have a draw for whitetails.

Reactions: CPAjeff and AJ13

·
Super Moderator
3,405 Posts
Give the DWR 4 years and we will have a draw for whitetails.
Will the be a LE hunt or a OIAL hunt? ;-)

One thing I can't figure out with the LE and OIAL hunts is why a person can't draw both tags in the same year (pg.16 2015 Application Guidebook). Makes no sense. -O,-

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
Will the be a LE hunt or a OIAL hunt? ;-)

One thing I can't figure out with the LE and OIAL hunts is why a person can't draw both tags in the same year (pg.16 2015 Application Guidebook). Makes no sense. -O,-
Because they want to spread the tags around.

I can just imagine the uproar if someone drew a OIL and LE tag in the same year.

·
Super Moderator
3,405 Posts
I should have stated that differently. I understand the reasoning of spreading tags around, but not the thought process behind it. What does it matter if they draw both tags in the same year? I for one, would be totally fine if someone drew both tags in the same year, that's why it's called a draw. If a person has max points, let's say for sheep and elk, that person has applied for 20+ years in the current system. Let them get both tags in the same year if they so choose.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I wouldnt care if somebody drew both their le tag and oial tag in the same year. What if they were max point holder for both? Why should I or anyone else care? What reason is there for uproar? Unless I was independently wealthy with gobs of free time I wouldnt want to draw both tags in the same year anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'll get lambasted for stating this but; I'm still hung up on why residents cannot apply for or purchase bonus points for all LE and OIL species yet non-residents can. Seems like a revenue stream for the UDWR to me.

I don't personally buy into the "I can't afford to apply for all my kids", the "I have been applying for xxx years so I should not have any competition on the tag" and the "it would add to point creep".

The simple truth is that there is a very limited resource available to the hunter; I just wish the UDWR would stand up and state that is why the UDWR is restricting opportunity and quit hiding behind false narratives.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Because there are sooo many applicants that under the current system if a guy picks and sticks with a single species he has a pretty good chance to draw it in his lifetime, maybe... MAYBE two species.

If everyone were able to put in and draw points for all species, statistically you will never draw anything... period.

**Edit: to put this another way, this is how the Sportsmans draw works. How many of those big game tags have you drawn?

-DallanC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts