Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys (and Gals),

I realize I'm new here so any and all help is much appreciated.

I drew a Vernon Muzzy tag and took my first trip out there today. I hunt Settlement Canyon in Tooele regularly and the Vernon country is quite different (cedar laced hills and next to no buck brush/quakes/pines that I'm used to.)

Having only taken a few bucks I'm not too particular but would like something 24"+, heavy or tall, and just about anything non-typical would be a shooter for me.

Two questions: are my expectations reasonable for this unit? And, should I stay around the cedar hills and flats around the reservoir, head towards the Cherry Creek side, or the Pony Express Trail side (Simpson I think) / or anywhere else I should focus my scouting in the next week or so.

Thanks in advance,
Dodgeballer

·
Registered
186 Posts
There are good deer all over the unit, You can find them anywhere. However they can be tricky to find and pattern. You will have to scout and hunt hard to find what your after in my opinion.
All the places you have mentioned will hold good bucks. The south end of the unit can be a bit hard to hunt due to the flats with thick cedars where they like to hang out. Little valley and the reservoir area hold some good bucks as well. Much easier area to access and hunt.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How do you feel about thin horned 3x4? Haha a lot of that genetic there. The south end of the unit is tough to hunt, as mentioned. But always has a few nice ones pop up. Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in the same boat except I'm holding a rifle tag. I've scouted over a dozen times so far. I can occasionally spot a buck 160"+ , but not very often.
I'd love to hear how your hunt goes Dodgeballer.
I'm open to any suggestions if somebody wants to point me to a certain canyon or road for a looksie.
Thanks in advance for any pointers

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a muzz tag out there a couple of years ago. In my opinion they REALLY need a management hunt out there. There are a lot of old two and three points that not many hunters choose to shoot.

There are some big bucks to be found out there but if they are in an area that you drove up to in your truck or ATV then it'll be about impossible to nail them down because the pressure will have them moving.

I made 30 trips out there the year I had my tag and only saw a couple of bucks that would have gone more than 160"

towards the end of my hunt I ended up shooting a 160

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts