Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would think if the DWR releases on there web site information about the upland hunts that they wouldn't show some data backing there claims.
Is it just me or does others feel this ? My Opinion only

Really best in 10 years...???

I have been out 3 days now, seen 1 grouse

Yes cottontail looks good

But really where do they get this from, could somebody answer with real data ?

I talk to no less that 10 bowhunters, grouse hunter the last few days, they all feel the same, DWR has a bunch of BS

The kid

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have the 10 people you've talked to in the last few days all been in the same general area? If so, the area is hunted out and you need a new spot.

Odd you haven't seen any grouse though. I've seen quite a few this year.

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
I have seen plenty of grouse this year. Granted it was a couple of weeks before the season started but they are out there.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If you read the recent article I believe it states they don't actually do a count on grouse but that while they were out counting other species and what not; their people reported seeing more grouse than in previous years. (Whatever that is worth) Personally Ive been seeing more grouse this year than past years and am looking forward to packing my shotgun on my last scouting trip before the muzzy hunt starts. Hopefully I can bag a couple

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
Where have you been hunting them and are you using a dog?

You can hike all over the mountain and not see a single one but come back to your truck and they'll be sitting in the tree above it.

I have gone out hunting them and haven't seen a thing but come deer or elk season and all I have with me is a rifle and I'll see them all over the place.

Grouse are where you find them and unless you have a dog to find them it can be a tough hunt, and I doubt that any of the bow hunters that you talked to had a bird dog with them.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I was literally stepping on grouse and chukar last year. During the elk hunt I came on a group of 5-6 grouse that I could have grabbed and throttled to death. Once I sat down and ate lunch on a log, then stood up to continue on and a grouse flew out from a bush not three feet from me. There were so many encounters with grouse during October that I've forgotten most of them. Of course the best was the two-fer where I shot one and heard flapping in the bushes while cleaning the first one and found a second one I had winged in the neck.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I have seen quite a few more grouse this year than in the past few years. Usually I would be itching to get after them with my shotgun, but anymore I find myself not wanting to kill them and just letting them go on their merry way.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Better that they go into my stew pot than into a coyote or fox, which would be the norm with how many there are now. I'm talking forest grouse of course, sage and sharp-tailed are a different story. Rabbits are the same way, the places where I see rabbits are just overflowing...there's a stretch of highway where you can stand and look in both directions and see half a dozen fresh dead cottontails each way.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
miss the question people...
where does DWR get this info
Great question, I have wondered the same thing. I don't think I have shot a grouse in 10 years. I did see some on the bow hunt this year however.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have seen quite a few more grouse this year than in the past few years. Usually I would be itching to get after them with my shotgun, but anymore I find myself not wanting to kill them and just letting them go on their merry way.
But they are just so **** tasty ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sooo still doesn't answer my question,a few of u have seen grouse....
Soooo this is were DWR gets info for best in ten year ?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sooo still doesn't answer my question,a few of u have seen grouse....
Soooo this is were DWR gets info for best in ten year ?
They fly in helicopters, every 5 they count equals 5000.
Are you mad at the DWR for your lack of success? If its really not the best in ten years I don't know why you are even trying, might as well stay home..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think Brendo tells it like it is as far as how they count, but your attitude tells me you must work for them. I did, but I'm now retired hunting tomorrow, hoping things will get better, not staying home....

·
Registered
854 Posts
On a serious note I think people give the DWR a way harder time than they deserve. They say "should be" and "I think" quite frequently in the article and they base their claims off of the great conditions of habitat and feed we have experienced this year. they specifically say they don't count grouse but like what they have seen. Do you honestly think there is an accurate way of counting grouse?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Your asking for data is what i was addressing. They never claim to have any specifically on the animals. They base their claims off of habitat and feed. which I'm sure they have data on if you were so inclined to call them and ask for it. It is simply an article to get people excited about hunting upland.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts