Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is without a boubt the biggest spike buck I've ever laid eyes on!

By Brother shot this pic in a farmers field by his house last night. Look how big he is compared to the other buck. I'd geuss him at about 5-7 years old. A nice mature buk for sure. My brother said after he ate some grub he spent the rest of the night with his nose up a does butt. :p

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I saw two bucks in Colorado exactly like that one. The second one I saw was really heavy and you could tell he was an old old buck.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coyoteslayer said:
I saw two bucks in Colorado exactly like that one. The second one I saw was really heavy and you could tell he was an old old buck.
Of course you did! 8)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I never in my wildest dreams would have ever thought a muture buck like that would revert back to a spike! Is this a natural thing?
Someone once told me that a buck will cycle through to 4X4 with spindley horns and then start over as a 2 pt. with some mass and go through another cycle up to 4X4, and then begin a 3rd cycle (which is normally their last), with lots of mass, again as a 2 pt. and then up to and over 4X4. I'm not sure if this is true or not, just something I was told years ago.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
:shock: I have never seen a spike muley that big. That thing may be the only spike I would shoot. I would actually rather take him than the 4 point in the photos. He is obviously in prime shape too. That thing is ripped.
This has picqued my curiosity about antler growth as well Bears Butt.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My fallow buck who is 11 years old, and I have had him since he was a spike, had a nice palmated rack every year until this year. He has big long spikes like that buckie in the photo does. It could be genes but it could also be a very old buck that doesn't have enough umph left to use it on antler growth.

I'd shoot him

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Bears Butt said:
Someone once told me that a buck will cycle through to 4X4 with spindley horns and then start over as a 2 pt. with some mass and go through another cycle up to 4X4, and then begin a 3rd cycle (which is normally their last), with lots of mass, again as a 2 pt. and then up to and over 4X4. I'm not sure if this is true or not, just something I was told years ago.
Someone was wrong. They can change from year to year slightly on points with availablilty of vitamins and such but only become more massive as they grow older. They don't live long enough to cycle like what you said.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Tex, I will post some pictures of him.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Tex shouldn't you be out killing birds? Leave this deer stuff to the experts. BTW I am the proud owner of a SD pheasant permit and doe tag. :D

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
That is a cool looking buck. He looks fit and healthy, wonder what kind of head gear he sported last year.

PRO

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My brother saw him again last night birddoggin does and running all the other buck off.

He's certainly the "C0CK-of-the-walk" and all the other bucks know it. If I was another buck I wouldn't want to fight him either! Thast would be like going up against two Braveheart swords tied to a deers head. :shock:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I think you guys are low.

25" Main beams + 14" spread credit and 9" of mass.

I think he's about 185 3/8. With low deductions he may make book.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've seen something similar to this on a ranch in Montana. The ranch owners were flipping out because these bucks are a legitimate danger to other bucks during the rut and should be taken out of the breeding pool. They practically offered up the buck for free to anyone who wanted it (no takers, I think they ended up having one of the local youth hunters take it on a management hunt asap).

Although it is rare, if an old buck reverts back to a large spike in his latter years, he still has the body size and drive to fight during the rut. His antlers lack any ability to lock during a fight, and his antlers act, in effect, as spears; easily puncturing the neck, face, or chest of his opponent because there are no tines to stop his forward progress.

Great pics though! Just thought the above was worth noting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts