Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I manage my wife's family's land and one of the properties is a small farm, we don't farm it but lease it out for cattle grazing.

I would like to get some opinions on the following:

I am considering engaging with the DWR to place it on the "Walk In Access" program for bird hunting, it has a lot of doves on it during the season and the DWR would release pheasants on it for the pheasant hunt.

The money is not great but it would more than pay the taxes and we would have pheasants to hunt, (along with the public). It used to have a good wild pheasant population on it way back when.

The DWR has looked at it and is interested and I am going over the paper work now.

Anyway, what do you all think? Anyone have experience with the program?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think it is great if you enroll it in the program. Sounds like an ideal scenario too. I'm grateful for the landowners around the state who take a leap of faith and allow access. If it were me I would definitely discuss the potential to do habitat improvements now that you are giving access to sportsman.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
My only concern for the family is that you protect your green belt status. If you are talking about discontinuing the cattle program make sure that the income from the DWR could be counted toward and fulfill the green belt requirements.
But yes, opening your property to the public is a good thing and property owners that do should be thanked.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
My only concern for the family is that you protect your green belt status. If you are talking about discontinuing the cattle program make sure that the income from the DWR could be counted toward and fulfill the green belt requirements.
But yes, opening your property to the public is a good thing and property owners that do should be thanked.
Roll back is for the last 5 years of green belt tax incentives. So if your green belt status reduced your taxes $500, you will have to pay that back, if you pull it out of green belt.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments thus far.

I plan on putting the cattle on it after the bird hunting season is over and then they go up on the mountain for summer to allow the cover to grow. So it will be used for both so no problem keeping it in the green belt.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think you should let me plant and hunt pheasants for a few years to see how well it will work...
You know, like a trial program... ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts