Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out more info and how to get permission for a walk in access area. How do I go about this? I looked on the DWR website but it's seems to be a dead end? Please someone help me out. PM me if you'd like. Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
There is an interactive map that has all the WMA's and WIA with contact info I looked for it a couple weeks ago and it was kind of a pain in the butt to dig up. I will see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
http://dwrapps.utah.gov/ram/start2 is the map.

You "purchase" your WIA number on the DWR site where you buy licenses and tags:

https://secure.utah.gov/hflo/main/serv1/index.html?server=serv1

Then you can download both your license and your WIA to your smart phone inside the Utah DWR app, or write the WIA number down on your paper license. The Utah DWR app is literally named "Utah DWR" and is available for iPhone and Android.

You don't need permission for a WIA beyond the number. Some do require a sign-in and most have a specific parking area. The first WIA I went to, at the end of the day we were packing up and the landowner came tromping up madder'n hell asking why we were parked where we were. Gotta say, the sight of a that hairy, dirty little dude yelling at the two of us out in no-man's land while we were both very much armed was kind of surreal. I'd expect someone to at least declare their intentions before running right at someone holding shotgun with another guy holding an SKS. It turned out that his neighbor had plowed dirt berms up to block access to what our angry little gnome had declared as his parking area, though it wasn't his to use. We passed those up and parked next to the hole in the ground that he'd been dumping garbage in and he took exception. Virtually every other WIA I have been to has been clearly marked and well maintained.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I'm guessing that some of the properties from last year have not renewed to be in the program this year.
But the landowners may not have taken down their walk in access signs yet.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I haven't seen any that require you to contact the landowner, but that's certainly right, you should look at the map and check the rules for the ones you plan on visiting.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I own property that borders a wia program. I can just say it is a very good idea to contact the landowner if possible. My neighbor on the mountain wildcat wma.has about had it with guys coming through his property and stealing his personal property driving through the property/road hunting as if there were no regulations. I have personally witnessed some very disrespectful people. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the landowners shut it down in the near future

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said I can't find this particular WIA on the Dwr website and don't exactly want to make it public. Website was a dead end.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Here's one only took a minute of browsing to find it. So just make sure you check and are not upsetting landowners. To the OP we will not be of much help without knowing the name of the one you are looking for. I would call the DNR.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts