Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather being as nice as it was Saturday no way I am going to sit around, I have one more good fishing trip in me before old man winter hits. Boy was it a good one! I headed out and met Greenguy88 and Chuckmiester at the old fishing hole. Once again I kindly ask for your discression if you know this spot great, but don't announce it to everyone, thank you in advance for your consideration. I arrived a 6:15 am and started my hike, as you can see I am not a petite flower so that took some effort. Nice to have the first fish out of the way.

Then Greenguy88 got into the action once on the pontoon boat:

Then the wind came up so bad he headed for shore an landed this nice fish:

I had a fist today as well thanks to the help of greenguy88 and chuckmiester I landed my first fish on Stillwater with my fly rod! He took a leach pattern about 15" from shore that was fished under and indicator.

I was also able to coax one tiger to eat a bugger:

But the highlight of the trip was this bad boy! We estimate about 22" and 4 ½ - 5 lbs. Funny story behind this photo, I hooked the fish and no one was around me. I got him to shore and he broke off right at the shore, I thought oh no another big tiger to break my heart I cant take it! Well as nimble as a 350LB guy can be I jumped into the water and grabbed him by the jaw and tail while in the mean time splitting my pants. A stranger across the water heard all the commotion and watched me try and hold the fish and take the picture (not working!). He rowed from the other side of the lake and snapped this photo for me. I am grateful to have evidence but the photo does not do the fish justice, remember I am 6'1 and 350LBS. You can see the fish is as long if not longer than my arm ! I now know why they have those clamp things to hold the fish and measure them because I had my hands holding his jaw and his teeth cut my hand up good, but all worth it for a fish like this.

I hope you all got out and enjoyed your weekend as well!

Orvis1

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice post with pics.
It makes the difficult moments of getting there worth it doesn't it.
Thanks for sharing, and thanks to the guy for helping you take the pictures, so now we all can enjoy.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
You split your pants.... dude, thats priceless!! :lol: I agree... an extra breezeway is worth getting your hands on a fish like that. Excellent job!! :D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Nice work! I cannot believe the amount of tigers you have been catching. That big tiger looks like a beast. I would have done exactly what you did to retrieve it, (hopefully not rip my pants though). :wink: I should have gone fishing yesterday.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Orvis good to meet up with you again. You as well chuck. It was a great day yesterday. Man I wish I coulda seen that fish in person, but I was so far away I could just hear yells of excitement :p The pic is a good one tho. Too bad about them danged pants :lol: Man I swear you have the luck there of always landin the big one! Ill try to upload a couple of my pics I took later on today.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Don't forget that he also seems to pay a price for the big one.

Remember the first trip? Ran over a snow-covered fire pit?

Now the pants.

I didn't hear about anything last time though. :lol:

It's good that you guys had fun.

GG88-

I'm glad you got your 'toon up there. I bet it was nice to float it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Haha thats true LOAH, that made me laugh. The snow covered fire pit was a good one. Anways LOAH ya I talked my bro into goin with me to so we took his truck and off roaded the back way to get our toons there. Man that road is WICKED. It was good to get out there and float it tho, alot more freedom to go wherever I wanted.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O.K. for the benefit of everyone who wasn't there the first time I fished there, I ran over a firepit that was covered with snow in my car. I broke a piece of plastic from the bottom of my car, obviously not an important piece because I have been driving for 2 weeks with no problems. I have a 100,000 mile warranty so I might have to take advantage of that and play dumb. This weekend I was wearing sweat pants underneath the pants that ripped so no harm there. If I have to sacrafice a rod for the next one I will if it jumps up to 25-27" love me the tigers!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I hear ya orv! I think most of us on this site will sacrifice alot of things just to land a big one! I know I would. Maybe thats my prob, next time Ill have to break my pole or somethin, then Ill get a big one :wink:

·
Registered
385 Posts
yeah nice pics orvis. too bad the wind came up too bad becasue i was ready to get a few more of those bad boys.

GG88 did you and your bro. stay for the evening fish or head home after the wind refused to quit? if i can get photobucket to work right ill post a few pics as well.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thanks for sacrificing your pants to bring us junkies a great pic and story.... I always enjoy your reports orvis1 Keep up the good work...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Chuck we left around an hour after you went east towards the usual spot. The wind sucked, how late did you stay?

·
Registered
385 Posts
i left right after orvis. i took a nap in the back of my car and when i woke up decided the wind wasnt going to stop anytime soon so i left. it was still a good trip though. did your fro. catch anything or did he hit a dry spell?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Once again I kindly ask for your discression if you know this spot great, but don't announce it to everyone, thank you in advance for your consideration.
Here we go again, thanks FC2tuber. Class act.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow...

Hate to tell everyone, but it's not any type of secret. It's a very well known reservoir. I'm not sure if it still is, but I know for years it has been on the fishing report at Sportsman's Wharehourse in Riverdale.

Also, if you really cared so much about people not knowing about your "secret" honey hole, then don't post about it at all.

BTW, you said "here we go again." That leads me to believe that others have called you out about this reservoir??? if it's such a secret, why does everyone know?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts