Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the long weekend, I'am sitting in my truck watching a field with about 200 or 300 geese and about half as many mallards in it that I just got permission to hunt the next day. After a little bit almost half the geese get up and I watch them with my binos to see where they go. To my amazement they fly over to this little pond right off a road. This pond is only 30 yards across and surrounded on all sides by high cattails and Fragmites, it's nothing to sneak up on anything sitting on it and blast it. Anything that lands there is constantly harassed by jump shooters. I have never seen anything more than a few ducks on this pond before let alone a hundred or so geese. So I drive over to make sure thats where they landed. Sure enough you couldn't fit another goose on that pond. I'am sitting there watching them and sure enough a truck with 4 people in it drive by. They slow down by the pond, they go down the road and turn around then drive by it again. They do this about 3 times. I know what they're thinking. Finally they go for it. They drive down this dirt road that will take them kind of close to the pond and an easy sneak to the slaughter. So when they go down the dirt road and get out of sight, I make my move. I jump out of my truck jump the fence and run to the pond and spook the geese off of it. I run back to my truck and get in. After a few minutes here they come sneaking up to the pond. They stop at the bottom of the dam and make their final plan. I'am sure they would of noticed that the pond was now silent, but no, they rush in for the slaughter and nothing is there. Its a good thing to because the direction they came on the pond, they would of been shooting right at my truck.

Was I in the wrong for doing that? Keep in mind if I was a back shooter, I would of blasted those geese before those guys ever saw them.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Something about this scenario rubs me wrong. Its not what you did I would have laughed my butt off. What they did reminds me a bit to much of road hunters during the deer hunt and I can't stand that. The fact that they drove passed more than once makes me think they questioned the ethics or legality of what they were doing, and in my mind if you question it you don't do it. I'm all for a good jump shoot but but I think a little work to earn the birds is in order like a mile or so walk to get there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just your typical fellow Utah hunter. If I can't have it, neither can you.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You might want to remember what comes around goes around. You were the first one there but you had no intent of shooting them so you should have let them go at them. I think its situations like these that makes a lot of hunters look real bad. I say you were in the wrong.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Afishnado said:
Actually a typical Utah hunter would of rushed in for the senseless slaughter. I could of had it, but didn't want it. I patiently waited for the next day to have my fun in the field.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Blackdog,
Upon reading your post I thought that you were very immature in your actions and then you made me certain of it by asking for people's opinions and responding in yet even a more immature manner to such a reaction:

blackdog said:
Afishnado said:
Actually a typical Utah hunter would of rushed in for the senseless slaughter. I could of had it, but didn't want it. I patiently waited for the next day to have my fun in the field.
Pretty lame brother, pathetic actually.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Did you only do it becuase you were coming back in the morning and you didnt want them to spoil your hunt?

Or did you do it just to be a dick? if it would have been me going for some geese and some Ahole scared them off

I would have done my best to go over and have words with whoever intentionally scared them away.

VERY NOT COOL!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think that what you did was unethical. If those guys had shot those geese it would not have affected your hunt in the field. Keep in mind not everyone has permission to hunt a field full of geese. I suppose if you had done it just to screw with someone I would feel better about it. Yet, you did it because you felt that just because they were going to be successful in there ambush it was somehow unethical. I definitely rubs me the wrong way. However, I do admire your fortitude to post the story of your actions. I believe it is important as a hunting community that we discuss situations like these. I hope you will let some other hunters have there own success next time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you did what you felt you had to do in order to even have a chance at seeing then geese anywhere near that pond again in the near future. Screw everyones opinions! Did they have permission to hunt the pond cause it sounds like they had to drive by a few times to get up the balls to even try and jump them geese. If they did not have permission this is what is causing the land owners to get pissed and say no to everyone. So maybe next time drive down and ask them if they have permission and if they dont they will drive away so you dont have to do things like you did. Geese are very spooky this time of year and you may have screwed yourself as well by spooking them, when they feel pressured they dont tend to come back. If the pond was some part of the permission you had to hunt shot them the next time so you get yours!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Could it be that they drove by several times to decide on the BEST approach?

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Firstarrow said:
Could it be that they drove by several times to decide on the BEST approach?
That was what I was thinking. _(O)_

balckdog, I think you acted like a punk. You did NOT chase off those geese for any other reason than pure selfishness! JMHO!

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
You think they would have heard them taking off. Yea I would have asked them if they got permission and if tehy dont then you could have told them they cant be on there.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I guess my first question would be.... how did your hunt go? :lol: I don't know what to think about you scaring off the geese..... I guess if it gets hit all the time by jumpshooters, then its probably a legal place and you might have just hosed these guys on their only opportunity for a goose this year or maybe even ever and that kinda sucks for them. Road hunting blows though, whether its ducks, deer or anything else. I agree with what truemule said, for what thats worth. 8) I probably wouldn't have spooked the geese, probably just shook my head and then walked over to see what they wound up with.... or to help them figure out just how to get the geese they just shot that landed in the middle of the pond thats over chest deep.... :lol: Did they have a dog, waders or any of that or were they in jeans, flannel shirts and boots? :?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Blackdog you did what is right. Backshooting is gay and all those that hunt that way shouldn't even call themselves hunters. If the birds aren't decoying they shouldn't be shot. I would have done the same thing. These backshooters are ruining our sport!

Just joking guys!

I don't think you should have done that Blackdog. If it was a pond that is publicly accessable they should have been able to have a crack at the geese. I know how you feel though. I have a field that I thought I was the only person with permission to hunt and this morning I drove past to check on the geese, I saw two guys set up in it. I have been watching 80+ geese and 100+ ducks hit that field for almost a week. I was saving it for Saturday so I could take a 13 year old kid out for a good goose hunt. My first thought when I saw them was "how could I get the geese just flustered enough to not come here today but have them back in here Saturday?" But ultimately I realized they have permisssion to be there so this is just going to have to be a lesson learned. I don't blame you for what you did but it probably wasn't the best decision IMO.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hunt1Fish2 said:
What's the difference with Blackdog scaring game away and some one from PETA doing the same?
GREED

I am not saying that the thought of doing the same thing wouldn't cross my mind. I just wouldn't figure it to be my right to do what Blackdog did.

·
Registered
95 Posts
During archery deer season a couple of years ago, I was driving back to camp after the morning hunt and saw a herd of deer down through these trees. I drove by three or four time trying to decide if there was a buck in this herd. After doing so I decided it was just a bunch of does so I pulled over to the side of the road to glass and watch them. Three four wheelers drove by, saw that I was a hunter and glassing this herd, turned around pulled over right in front of my truck and reved their engines yelled at the deer. I was not even planning on shooting one of those deer and yet some A-hole decided to scare them off. I have been on the other side of this and lets just say I would be one mad dude after you did this to me and I was really trying to get a shot. I would have made sure you got a peice of my mind. Jump shooting is another legal hunting form as well and should be givin the same chance. You did what you did and you can't change it now.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Hunt1Fish2 said:
What's the difference with Blackdog scaring game away and some one from PETA doing the same?
One is scaring off the geese so they can die of old age and one scared off the birds so he could help insure they wouldn't make it to old age the next day. :lol:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
Hunt1Fish2 said:
One is scaring off the geese so they can die of old age and one scared off the birds so he could help insure they wouldn't make it to old age the next day. :lol:
But, BOTH are WRONG. :?

I have probably killed more ducks/geese by jump shooting them off ponds/canals/sloughs/rivers than over decoys. It is neither illegal nor unethical. If you enjoy sitting in a field full of dekes, good for you, but to assume that is how everyone should hunt is nonsensical.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts