Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading on some of the posts that some think that there will be a reduction in cow elk tags this year. I am curious where this info is.Everything I read is area non-specific and talks about more opportunity not less. In fact there will be otc cow tags and you will be allowed 3 tags instead of 2.
Any help directing me to the facts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
RK,
There is an aggressive elk count taking place right now on the Wasatch,
And changes will be made accordingly.

I fully exspect from what I've heard, and seen, OTC control permits
will be removed from the Wasatch unit. As-well as most LE antlerless permits.
There will be a new private land antlerless cow hunt on the Wasatch of some type.

The 3 permit rule will be valid on other units.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Ummm, "aggressive elk count". Where did you get that info? They took a few public citizens on a minimal flight and counted thousands of elk on the Wasatch West. It was just a general fly-over some of the unit and wasn't meant as a census flight. Are they doing a complete census (days of flying)?

I don't doubt the OTC option will go away. And I hope that private lands only permits are used. There will still be draw permits for some areas of the Wasatch. We can all guess at what will happen, but the info will be out in the next month so people won't have to wonder....

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Aggressive?, Certainly NOT non-aggressive for the west portion of the unit. IMO.

Good info,
Clearly shows we have MAJOR problems on the S-SW end of the unit...

As-well as around Heber, were most of those elk reside on private ground.

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
How is anyone surprised most elk are on private ground halfway through a fairly decent winter? Snow pushes them down out of forest ground onto private which composes most of the foothills around our mountains. The issue is where are they in Sept / Oct when the hunts really get going?

-DallanC

·
Registered
561 Posts
How is anyone surprised most elk are on private ground halfway through a fairly decent winter? Snow pushes them down out of forest ground onto private which composes most of the foothills around our mountains. The issue is where are they in Sept / Oct when the hunts really get going?

-DallanC
Success rates would suggest a huge amount of them are staying put

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Goofy, you used the term aggressive. I was just wondering if you knew something we didn't. And yes, the flight they did yesterday was more of a quickie. Certainly not a thorough, "aggressive" census. Even with that they had almost 2,400 counted (per the UBA report). The population objective is 2,600.

Berry- I'll agree on some of that. Also, elk are using more public areas which are not as visible/accessible. So the private lands and non traditional use areas make it harder for the avg Joe to kill antler less elk. I hope they can build the herd back in your area-- perfect elk habitat and viable for the avg public.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

-DallanC
Red creek cwmu,buckhorn ranch,wolf creek ranch,victory ranch and at the least 3 other large private property parcels. That all have prime summer ground. Where the elk stay put during hunting season
most of those propertys do not offer public elk permits Anybody feel free to add to that list

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Red creek cwmu,buckhorn ranch,wolf creek ranch,victory ranch and at the least 3 other large private property parcels. That all have prime summer ground. Where the elk stay put during hunting season
most of those propertys do not offer public elk permits Anybody feel free to add to that list
Ther is also a CWMU in the Heber area where many of the elk go during the hunt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts