Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has drawn out a wasatch bull moose tag, he is very excited. I'm trying to help him out in finding a big bull. Doing a lot of looking and am not coming up with any thing worth hunting (small bulls), wondering if what we are seeing is what he has to pick from or if I have been focused on the wrong spots, was wondering if anyone had any helpful info..

·
Registered
248 Posts
We had two good size bulls run right through our camp last year; one stopped 6' from my son.

Mill Canyon Spring... some groups saw more Moose than deer!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have seen several good bulls on the CO-Op Road heading west from Currant Creek. Park your car or truck and hike the drainage just south of the road and you will find them in the bottoms... Good Luck! Post pics too please!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I have been scouting my butt off I am not sure what I am doing wrong but all I am coming up with is small bulls cows and calfs, had two good bulls on camara but they are weeks apart, and their is a billon people, if any one has any info I would be greatfull. The hunt starts in less then a week and I have no idea what to do for my old man :sad::sad::sad:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Keep following the cows. The bulls will show up. Where have you been scouting? Pm me if you want.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I had a cow moose tag back in 2008 on the East Canyon unit and all I could find were bulls...and yes most of them were small. I hunted all or parts of 15 days throughout the season and saw exactly one bull that I would consider a "good" bull. He was probably high 30s, maybe low 40s wide with good palms and 8-9 points per side. I saw him in mid-to-late Oct. after having hunted on and off since mid-Sept. The moose herd has dropped off quite a bit since then, but I still think the overall pattern applies. You will see lots of younger bulls, but the bigger ones will take some time and patience.

I'm scouting a small patch of public land this weekend for the upcoming general elk hunt and it's right inside the borders of your hunt unit. If I see anything, I will let you know. I've never seen anything big in this particular area, but you never know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts