Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! I was trying to find old threads on bull scores for the wasatch unit. Would you say 320 is average? Just curious. I will post some pic shortly of multiple bulls I have on cams and scouted. I am not after the biggest bull on the mountain just a respectable bull and the experience with my 9 yr son.

Also, If you need or know of someone who wants info on a few bucks on the wasatch. I have can provide in exchange for bull info. I am always happy to help another hunter.

Pics to come shortly.

LA

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would say 320 on that unit from what I have seen and read is a reasonable expectation. Should be a fun hunt! Good luck with your son at your side that should be a riot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes I would say 320 is a good ball park number. There are a lot of bulls that caliber. If you hold out though you can have a chance at a 350 class bull. What tag do you have?

·
Registered
394 Posts
A true 320 bull is the top end of average for the Wasatch. You should be able to find a a few bulls that will meet that range. There are a few bulls on the Wasatch that are bigger than that and if you find one you should do everything you can to take it.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Dahlmer is 100% correct!

A true 320 bull is a top end on the Wasatch right now.

A handle full bigger, but NOTHING like 6 - 10 years ago.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I would not say that a 320 bull is the 'average' bull for the Wasatch. But they are certainly available and a 320 expectation for anything other than archery is reasonable, IMO.

2013 I was up there on the muzzy and 320-330 was about as big as we saw. My brother's bull was in that range. I haven't been up there to see the unit this year, but last year when my other brother had the same tag, 320 was absolutely not the 'top end' for the areas we were hunting south of Strawberry on the muzzy hunt. We were in a little different area than 2013, but both years south of Strawberry.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would not say that a 320 bull is the 'average' bull for the Wasatch. But they are certainly available and a 320 expectation for anything other than archery is reasonable, IMO.

2013 I was up there on the muzzy and 320-330 was about as big as we saw. My brother's bull was in that range. I haven't been up there to see the unit this year, but last year when my other brother had the same tag, 320 was absolutely not the 'top end' for the areas we were hunting south of Strawberry on the muzzy hunt. We were in a little different area than 2013, but both years south of Strawberry.
I didn't say 320 was the top end for the unit...only the high end of the average. The top end of the Wasatch would be around 380 most years. I know of three bulls that came of the Wasatch last year that scored mid 340's to 360. All well above average for the Wasatch. Berry posted some pictures of bulls that should almost all be considered shooters if you have any Wasatch tag.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I wasn't really responding to your assertion, Dahlmer. You may have used different verbiage than me, but you weren't the only one commenting. And I agree, a couple of those bulls Berry posted are smokers for sure!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I've see some trail cam pics of two bruisers that are 360-380 on the Wasatch. They are there. Plus lots of 320-340 ish minnows. Other than that no elk. None. If you have a snatch tag turn it in. Not worth the paper it's printed on.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I've see some trail cam pics of two bruisers that are 360-380 on the Wasatch. They are there. Plus lots of 320-340 ish minnows. Other than that no elk. None. If you have a snatch tag turn it in. Not worth the paper it's printed on.
They wont be in a couple years with most the cows gone:!:

Just a matter of 'cleaning up' leftover bulls---And the snatch is in serious chit.

Reactions: hazmat

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Goof,

I'll be on the unit in October chasing deer. (With an a antlerless control permit in hand, of course.) I'm interested to compare it to the two previous years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This argument again. Get off the road, do some scouting. There are some 350 bulls throughout the Wasatch. Even a few that are bigger. I'm not saying that the Wasatch is the Pahvant, just saying put in some time and effort and don't shoot the first bull you see

1 - 19 of 19 Posts