Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't want to start a fight on here but I am curious if anybody knows if they will be doing the control permits for cows on the wasatch again this year? Trying to decide where to put in for antlerless?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Yes,
Unlimited cow control permits again this year on the Wasatch..:cry::cry:..

·
Registered
401 Posts
If I purchase a spike tag for the Wasatch and a cow control permit,and I have a wasatch Buck permit is my control permit good for both hunts if I don't take a cow during the spike hunt?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey maybe I just do not get this, but where does it say "unlimited control tags"?

They field guide -- here: http://wildlife.utah.gov/2015-plan-...hunting/hunting/1618-elk-control-permits.html -- says that you can get a cow tag on a number of units, incl Wasatch, f you obtained a permit (including general season) to harvest a buck, bull or once-in-a-lifetime species on any of the above units (not including CWMUs)... .

That's not "unlimited", but limited to holders of LE bull tags and GE buck tags, or?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Hey maybe I just do not get this, but where does it say "unlimited control tags"?

They field guide -- here: http://wildlife.utah.gov/2015-plan-...hunting/hunting/1618-elk-control-permits.html -- says that you can get a cow tag on a number of units, incl Wasatch, f you obtained a permit (including general season) to harvest a buck, bull or once-in-a-lifetime species on any of the above units (not including CWMUs)... .

That's not "unlimited", but limited to holders of LE bull tags and GE buck tags, or?

Hey someone gets it^^^ they aren't unlimited. Weird actual facts.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Semantics. Its unlimited to anyone holding a buck, bull, or OIL within that unit... So I suppose its both.

Yes Rooster, your control tag would be valid for both hunts as long as your hunting within the control hunt boundaries.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts

You are right. Technically not "unlimited" because it is limited to those with with a buck, bull, or OIL species in those sub-units open for control tags. But as it says, it's not just General Season buck and limited entry bull. It is also general season archery, rifle, and muzzy spike tag holders, moose tag holders, sheep and goat tag holders, etc.

Do they limit the number of general season archery elk tags?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Archery bull tags are unlimited and are spike only on the Wasatch. Then they can buy a control tag. So unlimited, but only for archery.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
So in actuality, the control tags are 'limited' only by how many people decide to by 'unlimited' archery elk tags. So...technically unlimited.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Limited or unlimited, either way there are too many cow permits issued for that unit period.:?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Limited or unlimited, either way there are too many cow permits issued for that unit period.:?
Ok, that makes sense ... I guess the point is that the number of cow tags that can and will be picked up along side all the others are too many. That I get.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Can you use a control tag on a road killed elk on highway 6? If so, there is much opportunity to be had. Does "any weapon" include your car? These are all relevant questions it would seem.-----SS

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
The harvest rate on control tags on the Wasatch last year was VERY low. Regardless of the unit's overall health, I really don't think these control tags help or harm either way all that much.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
The harvest rate on control tags on the Wasatch last year was VERY low. Regardless of the unit's overall health, I really don't think these control tags help or harm either way all that much.
You're talking nonsense. They are destroying the unit. The regular cow tags not so much. I will buy another control tag this year. Why not? Only 30$.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
I did find it weird that they reduced cow tags by 1,000 on the whole Wasatch unit, but left control tags in areas there were big reductions.

But I too will be buying a control tag, just in case we find one of the last 3 cow elk on CC during the rifle deer hunt.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I will forego the control tag during the general hunt. I don't need the meat this year and personally don't get much satisfaction out of shooting cows. I love hunting them with my kids but they both have other tags this year. Besides, hopefully the one I leave will be opportunity for someone else. I wish I could donate my control tag to someone who didn't get a general deer or LE tag. -----SS

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This post makes no sense even at 12 percent success .just for a number that is a whole of cow tags to pile onto the already high Anterless tags. Think about it 12 percent of every archery muzzy rifle deer moose elk goat tag holder that bought one in these select units wow that is alot of dead cows

1 - 20 of 23 Posts