Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drew out for the Wasatch velociraptor hunt and was wondering what the best caliber is to use? I was going to use my .243 but someone told me it might be a little underpowered. What would be your recommendations?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
7mm ,, 30-06,, Or bigger.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just a couple of buddies and spears. Just make sure you can run faster than your hunting partners.

Reactions: OKEE

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The .243 is plenty gun....if you have the skill. I saw a video of a guy taking down a triceratops with one, and am reasonably assured at this point that I or anyone else with enough skill could do so based purely on that one video.

Oh yeah, and I can't find the video and my .243 is currently malfunctioning so I can't show you how good I am.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, funny you should ask...... In order to not harm condors with lead based bullets there is a new way to legally harvest them. Take a razor blade and wedge it into a tree trunk with the blade exposed. Urinate on the blade. Velociraptors crave salt (Something about mineral availability in the soil). Using a sharp razor blade precludes the animal from feeling the cuts as it licks. Their tongue is very vascular so they usually bleed out at the site but occasionally you have to track the blood trail to find 'em. This works only if you have the either sex permit.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Well, funny you should ask...... In order to not harm condors with lead based bullets there is a new way to legally harvest them. Take a razor blade and wedge it into a tree trunk with the blade exposed. Urinate on the blade. Velociraptors crave salt (Something about mineral availability in the soil). Using a sharp razor blade precludes the animal from feeling the cuts as it licks. Their tongue is very vascular so they usually bleed out at the site but occasionally you have to track the blood trail to find 'em. This works only if you have the either sex permit.
I would say that's a piss poor way of getting your dino... ;-)

·
Administrator
21,311 Posts
It's all about bullet placement.

Reactions: riptheirlips

·
Registered
101 Posts
Real men hunt Utahraptors. They weigh as much as polar bears, are 23 feet long, and have 9 inch hind claws. I would recommend something a little bigger then .243 though.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Real men hunt Utahraptors. They weigh as much as polar bears, are 23 feet long, and have 9 inch hind claws. I would recommend something a little bigger then .243 though.
.257 Roberts then?

·
Administrator
21,311 Posts
Any trail cam videos?

Reactions: OKEE

·
Registered
638 Posts
Wyogoob,

You got any good recipes for Dinos, perhaps Dino Biltong?

Reactions: wyogoob
1 - 20 of 45 Posts