Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Wasatch Dino

5K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  Dunkem 
#1 ·
I drew out for the Wasatch velociraptor hunt and was wondering what the best caliber is to use? I was going to use my .243 but someone told me it might be a little underpowered. What would be your recommendations?

#2 ·
7mm ,, 30-06,, Or bigger.

#6 ·
The .243 is plenty gun....if you have the skill. I saw a video of a guy taking down a triceratops with one, and am reasonably assured at this point that I or anyone else with enough skill could do so based purely on that one video.

Oh yeah, and I can't find the video and my .243 is currently malfunctioning so I can't show you how good I am.

#7 ·
Well, funny you should ask...... In order to not harm condors with lead based bullets there is a new way to legally harvest them. Take a razor blade and wedge it into a tree trunk with the blade exposed. Urinate on the blade. Velociraptors crave salt (Something about mineral availability in the soil). Using a sharp razor blade precludes the animal from feeling the cuts as it licks. Their tongue is very vascular so they usually bleed out at the site but occasionally you have to track the blood trail to find 'em. This works only if you have the either sex permit.

#26 ·
It's all about bullet placement.
I agree with Goob. You really need to understand the anatomy of the animal prior to hunting. If you do this, then the .243 will be sufficient (assuming you use a quality bullet).

Please note that due to the small brain size, head shots are generally not recommended.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
I think I still have my lifetime Dinosaur hunting license from the 1970s issued in Vernal. Guess like the lifetime deer hunters, you have to live in the golden age.

-DallanC
I've still got mine also. It was great growing up in the 60's.
Rattlesnake eggs, Mexican jumping beans, riding in the back of pickup trucks. Those were the days.

We need to head out and see what we can bag. I just need to get myself one of these rifles and some shells and I'll be all set.

Attachments

#30 ·
OH... OH... OH .... I have a question....... which (or is it what) is worse, those using bad grammar, those correcting bad grammar, those complaining about either one or those hijacking a thread?

Wee'uns that were edjumacated in Southern Utah want to know:p

#31 ·
OH... OH... OH .... I have a question....... which (or is it what) is worse, those using bad grammar, those correcting bad grammar, those complaining about either one or those hijacking a thread?

Wee'uns that were edjumacated in Southern Utah want to know:p
I will answer your question with a question:

If it takes 56 flapjacks to shingle the roof of a doghouse, how long would it take for a chicken with a wooden leg to kick a hole in a peanut?

Honestly I dunno what is more annoying. But I will say that it can be really embarrassing in business situations when grammar is forsaken and lots of key decision makers see the bad grammar in an e-mail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.