Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Wasatch extended success/failer

6K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  EPEK 
#1 ·
don't say where just was wonder how everyone is doing on the extended what your seeing or not seeing what you have got and not got just stuff like that. Me i've been out acouple of times and seen alot of deer and a few elk but still have not been able to let an arrow fly. i can't wait till sunday.

#9 ·
got 50 yards from the largest deer I 've ever seen with a tag in my pocket. Full draw he stopped behind some oak and just like that went after his doe. Heading up tomorrow to see if I can find him again. Never seen a buck with a drop tine before, be he had a 12"er and a 6" cheater, HUGE!! After him I snuck within 80 yards of a 28"ish 180 buck, buck he also gave me the slip. Hope I can find them up there again. Had to give it a few day to recover, my legs are killing me.

Anyone else seen a droptine before? That is my first and he is huge.

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

#12 ·
I have been chasing some good bucks up high on the weekends and down low in the morning before work. I've seen a double drop tine buck on the front about 5 years ago, (when it used to snow this time of year). I do have a question though. Has anyone noticed the rut slowing down? I've located a big buck this past monday and patterned him out. Each time I saw him, he was hot on a doe in the herd. Now all I'm seing is the herd of does each morning. Can't seem to locate him or any of the other bucks for that matter.?

#14 ·
I was out for a few hours this morning. The first two deer I saw was a 2 point running down a doe...wouldn't leave her alone. They were practically doing circles around me. The second deer I saw was another 2 point but he was by himself. He seemed to be "on a mission" to get somewhere and was walking fast and not paying much attention to anything. He didn't look like he was spooked, just in a hurry to get to something. The last deer I saw was a decent 4 point and he was also flying solo. I saw him from about 200 yards away and he was heading right toward me. There were a couple of small gullies at 75 yards which were full of buck brush. He went down into the buck brush and simply vanished....I have no idea how it happened. I was watching him and could hear every step he made and then nothing....he just disappeared. I waited for a LONG time because I thought he must have bedded down but when I snuck over to where I last saw him, he was no where to be found. I'm wondering if he somehow got on a nice quiet game trail and made his escape..... Oh well, it was an eventful morning and got that 4 point got my heart pounding pretty good. I'm heading back out tomorrow evening. Good luck to ya'll!

#15 ·
I think the rut is still going hard if you know what I mean :lol: . I watched three does get some goods from two bucks. I chased one through scrub oak for 2 and a half hours. He was pushing 28 inch I bet and only had 80 plus yard shots that I did not take then I walked right up on him. I guessed him at 20 yards and was at full draw waiting for a good shot at his honey spot. Then I started second guessing myself and let the arrow down range found him and he was 21 yards I drew back and he took one good bounce and was and the go again (after does) :cry: I felt like laying down and dieing for second guessing myself. But I guess that is the way it goes. I have been in the same situation let down and ranged em and it payed off. not this time. :cry: :cry: :cry: :(

#16 ·
Yet again I was out looking for elk and saw a 26-28 in 4x4 buck. I first spotted him at 40 yrds and he couldnt see me but got a wiff after I watched him for a couple seconds and trotted off. About 15 min later he had circled back and again I saw him at 40 yards and could have easily got a shot off........... if I only had a deer tag!!!! I saw 2 2 points and a 3 point also. The thing that was cool about this is I got up there at like 4 o clock and was only 1/4 mile off the cottonwood canyon road and I finally saw some elk tracks. Everyone pray for snow.

#18 ·
A buddy of mine tagged out Sunday on a really nice four point with a cheater on the right and two eyeguards. Just got pics today.... hopefully he posts them up... if not, I might ask him if I can throw them on here or something. Apparently he's been told to write up a story and they'll put it in EBJ. Should be cool.... Doesn't look super wide but tall and good mass.... sure looks like a good deer. :D

#21 ·
I'll try and get ahold of him tonight and see if he'll be ok with me posting a couple of them. I'm not sure and I don't want to post them if he's not cool with it. I know, stupid, but thats how I feel about it. I don't see why he'd care, but if he does, then its not my place to go around that. 8)

#25 ·
Well, I have a "failer" to add. Stalked a 25"ish 4x4 with average mass and hieght after watching him sparr with another 4x4. I was covered in doe piss and he couldn't figure out what the hell I was. He just stared at me as I knocked an arrow and drew back, never minding the outrageous squeek that my drop away was making. I sized him up and figured the shot to be about 40 yards and almost straight uphill, between the nerves and misjudgement of distance(truth be told it was more nerves than misjudgement :wink: ), I watched my arrow sail beneath his brisket and into the hill side.

The end..........Not quite.

For some reason he thought he'd move 20 yards to the left and stare at me again, maybe it was the alluring odor that drew him to me and in retrospect, maybe he was conjuring up a plan to give me a re-de-virginizing. :?: In any case, I knocked another arrow and took a little more time, same result, only my arrow hit the rocks behind him and splintered into 30 pieces. I think I need whisky before I take the field, maybe that or a valium. :mrgreen: After he moved off into the next bowl and stuck his tongue out at me, prior to sticking it in a doe's behind, I recounted the event and hit each spot with the rangfinder just to find out I was spot on, on the first shot (Just made a bad, nervy shot) and guesstimated short on the second.

This was monday. Tonight I went in on his brother whom we'd been watching for about 3 weeks but had not been presented an opportunity. He's a beautiful typ. 4, VERY tall, with good deep forks, but only about 22 wide.

Got within 80 or so, but 3 friggin coyotes jumped out 40 feet in front of me in the trees and ended that long sneak.

2 days left and I've already had a ball with my "failers"!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.