Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So going into the draw, I am right on the cusp of drawing this tag. Looking at the data there are alot of older bulls (age results). That being said, looks like alot of good bulls were killed on the archery and the early rifle. Didnt hear alot or see many late season bulls.

So my question is this. How really is the Wasatch going to be this year? Just looking for a good 300 to 320ish bull. Worth putting in or just getting another point for next year for a better unit?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So going into the draw, I am right on the cusp of drawing this tag. Looking at the data there are alot of older bulls (age results). That being said, looks like alot of good bulls were killed on the archery and the early rifle. Didnt hear alot or see many late season bulls.

So my question is this. How really is the Wasatch going to be this year? Just looking for a good 300 to 320ish bull.

Thanks guys!
A 300 - 320 bull is still very do able on the unit. The last 2 years the cows have absolutely been slaughtered on the unit. This year you will definitely see the repercussions from that. I am glad the dwr has come to their senses and it sounds like they are going to let the herd rebound a bit.
I have a cabin right in the middle of the unit near current creek and I am up there just about every weekend glassing hiking scouting winter through summer. And you can definitely see a huge difference with the elk population you will get your occasionall weekend warrior fall into a big herd once a year and he will come on here and say you just have to get off the roads but I can tell you that is not the case numbers are down
with the cows as they have been the last few years the bulls take a few years to reflect that but I think this year will start the downhill spiral.
there Is a local guide that comes on here a bit( used to any ways where at bb) I am sure he would agree last year's bull hunts were tougher to fill tags then years past.
Imo opinion the wasatch is so popular because it is close to salt lake. There are better elk hunting options out there as of now. with points burned playing into that equation. Is it all doom and gloom no still some good bulls to be had. But it's definitely not even close to what it was even 3 years ago especially not 5-10 years ago

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Awesome pics berry did you guys fill all tags last year I heard last year was the first time in along time you guys didn't do a full sweep 100%. All the more reason to hire you guys because I seen alot of l.e tag holders through out all seasons go home empty. You could see the panic on their face the last couple of days of their hunts. And their routinely where are all the elk questions

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
In my opinion,
Not going to be very fun chasing a few isolated bulls around with almost no cows..

While Killing a 300+ bull will still be possible on the Wasatch for 2016,
that realization will become much LESS likely over the next few years....
This will make for a very poor LE hunting experience for Wasatch elk........................

Reactions: hazmat and tallbuck

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

We did pretty well last year across all the seasons. Elk numbers are down without a doubt, but good bulls are still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Berry, Thanks for the awesome pics! Gets my hopes up... oh the decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Awesome pics berry did you guys fill all tags last year I heard last year was the first time in along time you guys didn't do a full sweep 100%. All the more reason to hire you guys because I seen alot of l.e tag holders through out all seasons go home empty. You could see the panic on their face the last couple of days of their hunts. And their routinely where are all the elk questions
We sent a rifle hunter home with out a bull, he killed this bull we think, knocked him a$$ over tea kettle and was down for 10 minutes head on the ground. We were making plans to go get him and someone said 'hey he's up' sure enough he was up and hunter wasn't in a position to shoot. Bull went over the hill and we lost the trail about a half mile later. Spent the next month looking for birds and grid searching but found nothing. We found what we thought was sign of gut shot, but wouldn't be surprised if he grazed the skull and knocked the sucker out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
In my opinion,
Not going to be very fun chasing a few isolated bulls around with almost no cows..

While Killing a 300+ bull will still be possible on the Wasatch for 2016,
that realization will become much LESS likely over the next few years....
This will make for a very poor LE hunting experience for Wasatch elk........................
Well said goofy even though it sucks because I love the wasatch there just simply are better options out there if you are burning a decent amount of points. Manti definitely being one with close to the same draw odds imo

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
We saw a 280 bull yesterday morning on our way to Park city.
Broken front leg, standing on the highway above the Sundance turn off.

A patrolman directing traffic around it.
I'm sure they had to put it down.
And it's the only bull we have seen in Provo canyon all winter,
Past winters we have seen quite a few, Not this year.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
And it's the only bull we have seen in Provo canyon all winter,
Past winters we have seen quite a few, Not this year.
2 weeks ago we went up ice fishing, right at the area you describe were 7 bulls bedded down right off the road on that west hillside. That was the same trip we watched the father / son shoot cows on the CC unit, in the area people say no elk exist.

I personally saw more bulls, and bigger bulls, this past year than I ever have on the Wasatch. Personally I believe there are more elk than people realize, and that they are now into new areas they haven't frequented before. That makes it appear to be alot less because people "don't see them where we normally have".

-DallanC

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
While yes Dallan, there are a few areas still holding decant elk on the Wasatch,

I ask you , were are the huge wintering herds that should be in Diamond Fork,
Teat Mountain, Sheep Creek, Tie Fork, Avintiquin???

Or the numbers on Maple mountain/Springville canyon? 1/4 the elk from 3 years ago.

The Wasatch is a very big unit.
While numbers may be OK in your corner Dallan,
I can assure you, most of the unit right now is hurting for elk numbers big time.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
If you know the unit and understand where the elk live in September then you should easily be able to kill a 300-320 bull with the chance at something larger. If you like the Wasatch and it offers you the chance to scout and enjoy all the parts of having a rut tag then go for it.

Of course the unit is not what it was 10 years ago and it will most likely get worse before it gets better. But the bull you want to kill was born 6+ years ago. He and some of his buddies are there to chase. It won't be as easy as it was a decade ago, but it is still doable.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
2 weeks ago we went up ice fishing, right at the area you describe were 7 bulls bedded down right off the road on that west hillside. That was the same trip we watched the father / son shoot cows on the CC unit, in the area people say no elk exist.

I personally saw more bulls, and bigger bulls, this past year than I ever have on the Wasatch. Personally I believe there are more elk than people realize, and that they are now into new areas they haven't frequented before. That makes it appear to be alot less because people "don't see them where we normally have".

-DallanC
There used to be tons of elk in that exact same spot where they shot that lone cow and calf with those bulls. 3 years ago you would have seen 200 plus cows and multiple multiple bulls. Think about how big that canyon is and how much country is nearby a herd of 7 is not that impressive at all. And yes They have adapted to all the hunting pressure they get from August until February they go onto private property. Imo it's a combination that I would not waist a whole lot of points on the unit .declining elk numbers, non stop hunting pressure pushing them on private property. And the better quality of a surrounding unit

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
While yes Dallan, there are a few areas still holding decant elk on the Wasatch,

I ask you , were are the huge wintering herds that should be in Diamond Fork,
Teat Mountain, Sheep Creek, Tie Fork, Avintiquin???

Or the numbers on Maple mountain/Springville canyon? 1/4 the elk from 3 years ago.

The Wasatch is a very big unit.
While numbers may be OK in your corner Dallan,
I can assure you, most of the unit right now is hurting for elk numbers big time.
Current creek is not in much better shape. It's pretty bad when you have guides that spend everyday up there. pop in your camp for a 20 minute conversation explaining their frustrations with the lack of elk

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dead horse gents dead horse! We will have a rep in the chopper on Wednesday when it flys the west side of the unit, so I'll let ya know if us sportsmen are just lazy piles of worthless hunter or if we have a numbers problem!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I spend a lot of time on timp and have a few descents areas that I always find Bulls. But the last 2 years the elk are starting to be more spread out and harder to find.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Dead horse gents dead horse! We will have a rep in the chopper on Wednesday when it flys the west side of the unit, so I'll let ya know if us sportsmen are just lazy piles of worthless hunter or if we have a numbers problem!

Thanks for the update keep us posted

·
Registered
538 Posts

Video with Wednesdays SL Trib in the image or some won't believe.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts