Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad drew the archery tag with 1 point. He is 65 years old and probably one of his last times going out due to his health.
I don't know this area well as I hunt most my time on the manti unit. can anyone help me out on direction on this unit? I was thinking of starting around
- 5th water
- low pass by current creek
Any other suggestions? Would these be good areas? Any other info would be great not looking for anyone's spot just direction

Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you go up from hwy 40 on the Currant Creek road its before the campground. Its pretty easy to find, there's a big creek bottom before the road. there might be better areas to hunt than around there though, like Blackie said, lots of general hunters all over in Currant Creek.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I Wouldn't waist any time in, or around 5th Water,
Very few elk there.......

Reactions: robiland

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Unless you're bringing a fly rod...
6th Water has look like some GOOD fishing the last few days......

Me...? Im headed to Boulder in the morning on a fishing/scouting trip.:grin:

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
90 Posts
I drew the tag in 2003 & 2014 and had a great time each year. I've hunted the unit during the general archery season every year since 2003, however, I've never hunted the waters area but I've always been told there are some nice bulls to be had in that area. I do know several guys that archery hunt the waters every year for cows/spikes. Don't believe everything you read, some people will not be up front with you. There are elk all throughout the unit. There are general season hunters all throughout the unit as well so don't let that spook you away from a particular area. Obviously the easier to access areas will generally hold more hunters.
It is true that the elk numbers have dramatically decreased but there is some good hunting to be had. Back in 2003 the area I hunt we saw 350+ bulls every day, since probably 2005, I don't think I've seen a bull in this particular area that would make the 350 mark. I've seen a few upwards of 340 but most mature bulls are in the 300-320 range. As far a quantity goes, in the area I hunt I will typically see or hear 4-5 bulls a day.
I'd recommend you get out and familiarize yourself with a few areas if your not already and make your own assessments. Come hunting time have at least a few areas that your confident with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts