Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - I drew this tag and was wondering if it's any good? How big are moose anyway? People have told me they are big...how do you field dress one? I've heard something about "quartering". I thought that was just a drinking game??

OK, enough of that. I did not draw this tag, but I have a friend that did after a long 26 long years. He is a big game enthusiast, but unfortunately, he has been fighting cancer for the past 3 years and it has really slowed him down big time. There for a while, it didn't look good at all, but he has steadily been pulling himself up even if he can't do alot of what he used to love and enjoy.

Given the above, i have offered to help him out, but I am only two eyes. If any of you are willing during your summer scouting on the Wasatch to share info on any good bullwinkles, I would appreciate it and will relay the info and help him scout things out. I know moose numbers aren't what they were 8-10 years ago, but there are still good ones to be had...just have to find them.

Thanks guys - I know Dan will be grateful for any info offered up.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's an area that has held good bulls historically, I think that's good too. If nothing else, it helps narrow options down.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You’re a good man mike! You know I’ll provide whatever info I can find. I should be out and about up there a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey - I drew this tag and was wondering if it's any good? How big are moose anyway? People have told me they are big...how do you field dress one? I've heard something about "quartering". I thought that was just a drinking game??

OK, enough of that. I did not draw this tag, but I have a friend that did after a long 26 long years. He is a big game enthusiast, but unfortunately, he has been fighting cancer for the past 3 years and it has really slowed him down big time. There for a while, it didn't look good at all, but he has steadily been pulling himself up even if he can't do alot of what he used to love and enjoy.

Given the above, i have offered to help him out, but I am only two eyes. If any of you are willing during your summer scouting on the Wasatch to share info on any good bullwinkles, I would appreciate it and will relay the info and help him scout things out. I know moose numbers aren't what they were 8-10 years ago, but there are still good ones to be had...just have to find them.

Thanks guys - I know Dan will be grateful for any info offered up.
I am going to scout wasatch for my late season bull tag this summer. I will let you know if I see any bull moose.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
What are "Dans" hiking abilities? I know an area that has held some decent bulls in the past 4-6 years. It no way am I a hiking nut and as far as conditioning, I am a little overweight and I made it in and back out with a deer boned out in my pack frame. My brother passed away from the "C" word at age 48 and I know the energy level he had was very limited.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to get a good read on his energy/stamina level at this point. He was in good shape prior to all this, but do see that his energy isn't all there now. I'm betting a mile or so is probably around the max, but hopefully I'm wrong. I'll find out and get back.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
The biggest moose I've ever seen on the wasatch was where Wasatch Mts state park is now.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,987 Posts
We used to see some real nice ones on the Alpine Loop and Cascade Springs

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
It's sad that its taking 26 years to draw a OIL tag! As for myself, I realized my odds of drawing a Moose tag were next to nothing before I turned the age of being able to hike in and fill a tag. I stopped applying and if I want to take a Moose, I'll pay the 30K and head North to have a guided hunt and better my odds of filling a tag.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I guided a wasatch moose hunt last year. Big learning experience! Lemme know what I can help with, I got her on 9 good mature bulls and she never shot one. Covered from Duchesne ridge tabby mtn wasatch state park af canyon cascade springs current creek all over wild cat and out to "the waters" and have some intell on what I saw last year anyways, after about 9 weeks of scouting.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I guided a wasatch moose hunt last year. Big learning experience! Lemme know what I can help with, I got her on 9 good mature bulls and she never shot one. Covered from Duchesne ridge tabby mtn wasatch state park af canyon cascade springs current creek all over wild cat and out to "the waters" and have some intell on what I saw last year anyways, after about 9 weeks of scouting.
This is what I like to see with OIL tags. I will say most seem be open to helping OIL tags . Good on you!.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Middlefork - Yes, I agree. OILs are such a different animal (literally) than the general/LE hunts. It's refreshing!

Yotedog - PM sent

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Wildcat the bulls barely live to see 2 years old, Tabby alot of ground for them to cover and they usually choose to do so on private ground, Duchesne ridge can be good. That's my input on the areas mentioned above.
There was a monster bull taken out of the bjorkeman/willow creek area last year and I can tell you he had a chance to pass his genes on for a couple of years.
The cottonwoods always hold big bulls. If I had the tag I would look in these 2 areas. Jmio

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bjorkeman/willow creek? I'm not familiar with this area. Where is it? Lots of Willow Creeks in the state...not so many Bjorkeman's, I'm sure!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Find a bull and kill it the first day or three. If that doesn't happen, then go hunt the last 2 weeks. Too many people wear themselves out the first 2 weeks and miss out on the best time to hunt moose. Mid Oct is excellent timing to hunt them.

I killed a decent bull on the Wasatch and can check a couple spots for you guys as it gets closer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats on your buddies tag! Cancer sucks!
I had an East Canyon moose tag last year. It was very challenging with the drought. The animals were very nocturnal. We set up trail cams that recorded some really nice bulls but finding them during daylight hours was a different story. I did fill my tag with my archery gear near the end of the hunt. A nice bull but not the monster bull I had dreamed of. My best advice is to be out on the mountain as much as possible. Be patient. Enjoy the experience and have fun!
Also, have some reliable help to move your moose off of the mountain once you bag him! Bring a lot of very sharp knives too!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey - just bumping this thread with the archery hunts starting this weekend. If you are out and about and see a nice bullwinkle, take a photo and shoot me a response here or PM. Thanks to all those that have sent information and tips to this point!

To update this situation, Dan can hike about 1.5 miles without gear on, so that is great! I was afraid it was going to be much less. He has located a bull on the Wasatch east of SLC that he wants to chase, but who knows if that bull will remain in the area or if it will find its way onto private that is in the area. Only time will tell, so we're looking for Plan B and C right now.

Thanks again for all the tips and information. Good luck on the hunts this fall!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts